- You can report police sightings on Waze through the reporting menu, which is available on both iPhone and Android devices.
- Reporting police sightings or speed traps on Waze can help other drivers regulate their speed, avoiding both accidents and potential traffic tickets.
- It’s legal to report police sightings on Waze in the US, but the same may not be true everywhere — be sure to check local laws if you plan to use the app abroad.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
How many times has Waze saved you from a potential speeding ticket? If you’re like me, it’s more times than you can count.
Waze is well-known for allowing users to report all sorts of driving conditions, from traffic jams to police speed traps. This lets the app warn other users about these conditions, making everyone a more careful driver.
If you’ve just passed a speed trap and feel the need to report it, you can. Here’s how to do it using the Waze app for Android and iPhone devices.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
iPhone 11 (From $699.99 at Apple)
Samsung Galaxy S10 (From $859.99 at Walmart)
How to report police sightings on Waze
First of all, if you’re driving, don’t make a report. Hand your phone off to a passenger, or if you’re driving alone, wait until you’re out of the car.
Secondly, note that while reporting police sightings on Waze is completely legal in the United States, this isn’t the case everywhere. If you’re driving abroad, check local laws to make sure that it’s okay to use the reporting feature.
You should also be aware that making a report will make your Waze username public to anyone who sees the report.
1. Open the Waze app on your iPhone or Android and tap the orange circle at the bottom-right corner. If it’s not there, first center your camera by tapping the gray circle in the bottom-left. This will make the orange circle appear.
2. Tap the “Police” icon at the top-center.
3. You’ll be brought to a page where you can select how the police you saw are stationed. You have three options.
- If the police are out in the open, tap “Visible.”
- If the police are obscured by trees or another object, tap “Hidden.”
- If the police speed trap is on the other side of the road from you, tap “Other side.”
4. When you’re ready, tap “Send.”
Your report will be sent to Waze, and factored into their guidance directions.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
How to change the voice of your Waze navigation app in 5 simple steps
How to get Google Maps to talk by enabling talk navigation on your mobile device
‘Why is my Google Maps app not working?’: 4 ways to fix Google Maps when you can’t navigate with the app
How to avoid highways on Google Maps for your directions on desktop or mobile
How to create a map in Google Maps using My Maps, to save and share it for custom routes or directions
SEE ALSO: The best iPhone accessories from cases to lightning cables
Join the conversation about this story »
NOW WATCH: Why electric planes haven’t taken off yet