- You can unsubscribe from emails in Gmail if you want to stop getting those incessant marketing emails.
- If Gmail registers that the emails are coming from an automated mailing list, it gives you the option to unsubscribe.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Have you ever signed up for a mailing list and instantly regretted it? You probably expected occasional emails about events or deals from this sender, but instead they’re sending you three marketing emails a day and clogging up your inbox.
All you have to do is unsubscribe.
Unsubscribing from emails is not the same as blocking. While blocking emails from an address stops all communication with that user completely, all that unsubscribing does is take you off of their mailing list.
So, if you want to stop getting emails from your favorite clothing store tempting you to shop a sale every week, but still want to be able to receive emails from them when you’ve made a purchase online, for example, you can do that by unsubscribing.
It is very easy to do, but you should note that after you do it, it can take a day or two to have your email officially removed from the mailing list. So if the emails don’t stop coming right away, be patient.
Here’s how to unsubscribe from emails in Gmail.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
MacBook Pro (From $1,299.99 at Best Buy)
Microsoft Surface Pro 7 (From $699.99 at Best Buy)
How to unsubscribe from emails in Gmail
1. With Gmail open on your Mac or PC, open an email from the unwanted sender in question.
2. Next to their address, if Gmail registers that they are using a mailing list to send this email to you, there will be a little gray button that says “Unsubscribe.” Click on it.
3. In the pop-up window, click “Unsubscribe” again to confirm that you’d like to stop receiving these emails.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
How to add a Gmail account to your iPad in 2 different ways
How to change your Gmail password on your iPhone using the Gmail app
How to schedule send an email on Gmail on desktop or mobile, if you want to compose an email but schedule it to send at a later time
How to change your Gmail profile picture on an iPhone, and add a personal touch to your email
How to add hyperlink text in Gmail on a computer or mobile device
SEE ALSO: The best Apple MacBook laptops
Join the conversation about this story »
NOW WATCH: How autopilot on an airplane works