- You can set up Google Pay to pay for goods and services both online and in stores using your Android phone.
- To do this, you’ll need to have the Google Pay app on your Android phone. Once you’ve installed it, start the app and follow the step-by-step setup instructions.
- You’ll need to add at least one payment method and follow the instructions for in-store purchases if you want to use Google Pay in stores.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Google Pay is Google’s answer to Apple Pay — it lets you use your phone to make contactless payments in many stores, and also make purchases in apps and on websites.
All you’ll need to do to use it in stores is open the Google Pay app and hold your phone over a compatible card reader, which should scan your phone automatically.
Despite being made primarily for Android devices that can’t use Apple Pay, Google Pay is available on both Android and iPhone, though the iPhone version is comparatively limited and can’t be used in stores.
You’ll also need to connect a payment method, like a credit card, to your Google Pay account before you can use it.
Here’s how to set it all up.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
Samsung Galaxy S10 (From $899.99 at Best Buy)
How to set up Google Pay on your Android phone
1. If you don’t already have it on your phone, install the Google Pay app from the Google Play store.
2. Start the Google Pay app and then tap “Get Started” on the welcome screen.
3. Follow the step-by-step instructions to configure your Google Pay account. You’ll have the opportunity to connect Google Pay to your Google account (the account you use for Gmail, YouTube, and other Google apps), which can help you take advantage of loyalty cards and online discounts.
4. When you’re asked to add a payment method, you can choose to add a credit card, debit card, or PayPal account.
5. If you add a card and want to use it to make in-store payments, be sure to enter all the card details. You might see a message that says “Set up in-store payments.” Tap the link and enter any missing information.
If you receive a message that says something like “Google Pay can’t be used” or “Google can’t verify your device,” it means that your phone doesn’t support Google Pay.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
How to cancel your Google Play Music subscription on a computer or Android phone
How to listen to podcasts on your Android device using the Google Play Music app
How to reverse image search on your Android phone in 2 ways using Google Chrome
You can’t add a PayPal account to Apple Pay, but you can add it to your Apple ID — here’s how
You can’t leave a group text on Android, but you can mute or delete it — here’s how
SEE ALSO: The best speakers with Google Chromecast built-in you can buy
Join the conversation about this story »
NOW WATCH: Watch Elon Musk unveil his latest plan for conquering Mars