- You can connect Spotify to your Google Home to control music with voice commands and play the streaming service through Google smart speakers.
- To connect Spotify to Google Home, you’ll have to use the Google Home mobile app on your iPhone or Android phone.
- You don’t even need a subscription to Spotify — you can connect your free Spotify account to a Google Home, as well.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Whether you have a free, ad-supported Spotify account or you pay for Spotify Premium, you can connect your Spotify account to Google Home.
Once you do this, you’ll be able to control your music with voice commands and play it through any Google smart speakers you own.
Here’s how to do it.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
Google Home (From $99.99 at Best Buy)
iPhone 11 (From $699.99 at Best Buy)
Samsung Galaxy S10 (From $899.99 at Best Buy)
How to connect Spotify to Google Home
1. Start the Google Home app on your iPhone or Android phone.
2. Tap the plus sign at the top left of the screen.
3. Tap “Music and audio.”
4. In the More music services section, tap “Spotify” and then tap “Link Account” in the pop-up window.
5. On the Spotify page, sign into your Spotify account.
6. On the terms and conditions page, tap “Agree.”
7. On the Music page, you should now see Spotify is connected to Google Home and set as the default music service. If you’d prefer to make a different service the default, you can tap a different option. Close the window and start listening to music.
How to control Spotify using Google Home
You can give Spotify a lot of plain-English commands through your Google smart speaker.
Since it understands a lot of variations, you should feel free to experiment. If you have specified Spotify as your default music service, then you don’t need to say “on Spotify,” since that will always be implied.
Remember to preface each of these commands with “Hey Google” or “OK Google:”
- Play Discover Weekly.
- Play “Magic Bus” by The Who.
- Play music by the Beatles.
- Play some jazz.
- What is this song?
- Pause the music.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
How to set up any Google Home, Google’s versatile smart speaker, in just a few minutes
How to use and customize Google Assistant on your phone or Google Home
‘How to reset any Google Home device to its factory settings, if it’s malfunctioning or you’re planning to sell it
How to set up and use Google Home with your iPhone or Android device
Yes, your Google Home can make phone calls — here’s everything you need to know
SEE ALSO: The best Google Assistant smart speakers
Join the conversation about this story »
NOW WATCH: 8 weird robots NASA wants to send to space