The US Open tennis championships will go ahead as scheduled in August but without spectators, officials confirmed on Tuesday.
After weeks of uncertainty surrounding the tournament – which is being staged in the epicentre of the US coronavirus crisis – New York Governor Andrew Cuomo formally gave the event the green light.
“The @usopen will be held in Queens, NY, without fans from August 31 to September 13,” Cuomo announced on Twitter.
The @usopen will be held in Queens, NY, without fans from August 31 to September 13.
The USTA will take extraordinary precautions to protect players and staff, including robust testing, additional cleaning, extra locker room space, and dedicated housing & transportation.
— Andrew Cuomo (@NYGovCuomo) June 16, 2020
The New York leader said the US Tennis Association would take “extraordinary precautions” to protect players and staff during the event.
Those safety protocols included robust testing, additional cleaning, extra locker room space, and dedicated housing and transportation, Cuomo added.
The decision had been anticipated after reports on Monday said the USTA’s plans for the tournament had received support from the ATP and WTA Tours.
The ATP/WTA Cincinnati hardcourt event – the Western & Southern Open – will also be staged at the USTA’s Billie Jean King National Tennis Center at Flushing as a lead-in tournament.
The USTA opted to move the…