- To delete contacts from Outlook, you will need to enter your address book before selecting the entries you want to remove and clicking “Delete.”
- You can’t delete contacts from Microsoft Exchange’s global address book, but you can delete any contacts you add to Outlook.
- Unlike in the Outlook app, you can restore previously deleted contacts if you use Outlook.com.
- Visit Business Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
Outlook lets you maintain a personal address book of contacts to make it easier and quicker to email friends, colleagues, and co-workers.
You might also have access to a global address list if you’re connected to a Microsoft Exchange server. These names are maintained on an external server, and you can’t edit these entries.
But any contacts you add to your address book can be deleted and restored, with just a few clicks while using the desktop and mobile apps, as well as Outlook.com.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
Apple Macbook Pro (From $1,299.00 at Apple)
Acer Chromebook 15 (From $179.99 at Walmart)
How to delete contacts from Outlook on your desktop
1. Open Outlook and click the Contacts button at the bottom left of the Outlook window.
2. Select the contact you want to delete.
3. If you want to remove more than one contact at a time, hold down the CTRL key while you click each entry, which allows you to select any number of entries at once.
4. In the ribbon, click “Delete.”
5. If you realize you made a mistake and want to restore them, press CTRL + Z to undo your very last action.
How to delete contacts from Outlook.com
1. Open Outlook.com in a browser and click the “People” button at the bottom of the left-side navigation pane, represented by two human silhouettes.
2. Choose the contact you want to delete. To select more than one contact, keep clicking on additional entries, and checkmarks will appear on each selected contact.
3. Select “Delete” at the top of the pane.
4. Confirm you want to delete them by clicking “Delete” again.
How to restore deleted contacts in Outlook.com
1. Click the “Deleted” folder under “My contacts” to see your list of deleted contacts.
2. Select each contact that you want to restore.
3. Choose “Restore” from the main pane on the right side of the web page.
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
How to share your Outlook calendar with others to coordinate events, meetings, and more
How to add a signature in Microsoft Outlook in 2 different ways
How to create a group email in Outlook to make emailing a group of people more efficient
How to create an email template in Outlook to save time in formatting
How to create folders in Outlook in 4 simple steps
SEE ALSO: The best all-in-one PCs you can buy
Join the conversation about this story »
NOW WATCH: Why thoroughbred horse semen is the world’s most expensive liquid