- It’s easy to make a Slack channel private for those who have permission to do so.
- You have to be a workspace owner or administrator and you have to be a channel member in order to make a Slack channel private.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Making a Slack channel private can help keep information confidential. Slack also makes it very easy to make a channel private though only workspace owners and administrators who are members of that specific channel will have the ability to make it private.
Keep in mind, however, that any files shared within that channel will not be privatized even after the channel is made private.
You may, however, be able to create a private Slack channel if you are just a regular member — provided your workspace owner or administrator has not restricted that ability.
Here’s how to make a Slack channel private on your Mac or PC.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
MacBook Pro (From $1,299.99 at Best Buy)
Lenovo IdeaPad 130 (From $299.99 at Best Buy)
How to make a Slack channel private if it’s public
1. Select the channel you want to make private from the left sidebar.
2. Click the gear icon next to the name of the channel, located at the top of the screen.
3. Select “Additional options.”
4. Click “Change to a private channel” — if that isn’t listed, you’d need to contact an administrator or owner for assistance, otherwise continue to the next step.
5. Click “Change to Private” to confirm your decision.
How to make a private Slack channel
1. Click the plus sign next to “Channels” in the left sidebar.
2. Add your channel name and toggle on the “Make private” option.
3. Click “Create.”
You’d be able to add members to the channel by tagging them in the pop-up which appears immediately after creation, or by selecting “Add people” on the channel page at any time.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
How to sign out of Slack completely on all of your devices in 5 simple steps
How to join a Slack channel on desktop or mobile, whether it’s public or private
How to use GIPHY in Slack to send GIFs to your friends and coworkers
How to leave a Slack channel that you’re in, using either the desktop or mobile app
How to delete Slack messages that you’ve sent, and what to do if you can’t delete them
SEE ALSO: The best Apple MacBook laptops
Join the conversation about this story »
NOW WATCH: Apple just revealed its AirPods Pro for $249, which feature noise cancellation. Here’s everything that was wrong with the $159 pair of the wireless headphones.