- It’s easy to open a Microsoft Word document in Pages, which is Apple’s built-in word processing software for Mac computers.
- You may need to open a Microsoft Word document in Pages if you’re trying to edit documents between a PC and a Mac, and fortunately, both programs are very similar.
- You can also export a Pages document back into Microsoft Word when you’re done editing, in order to update all your changes on both systems.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The debate between Mac computers and PCs has been going on for decades.
This can cause problems if, for example, your office uses PCs but your family uses all Apple products — especially if you want to edit documents in both places.
If you’ve created a document on Microsoft Word but want to edit it on a Mac computer, you’ll find that your Mac does not come with Microsoft Word. Instead, Apple’s built-in word processing software is called Pages.
While you could just purchase and download the Microsoft Office suite for your Mac computer, it’s also quite easy to convert a Word document into Pages, as the programs are very similar.
Here’s how to do it.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
MacBook Pro (From $1,299.99 at Best Buy)
Lenovo IdeaPad 130 (From $299.99 at Best Buy)
Microsoft Office Home and Student (From $149.99 at Best Buy)
How to open a Microsoft Word doc in Pages on a Mac
1. Open Pages on your Mac computer.
2. Click on File in the menu bar and select “Open.”
3. Find your Word document and click on it. Pages will automatically convert the Word file to a new Pages file (alternatively, if the Word document has been sent via email, you can open it there and it should automatically launch in Pages).
4. When you’re done editing the document in Pages, you will have to save it on your desktop if you want to keep a copy of this edited Pages file.
Note that this will not update the Word file. To turn it back into a Word file and replace the version you first downloaded, you will have to export it back into Word.
How to export your Pages document back into Microsoft Word
1. With the Pages document open, click on File in the menu bar.
2. Click on “Export To” and then choose “Word.”
3. If you name your file the same as the original Word doc, it will ask if you want to replace the version already on the desktop. Click on Replace.
Once you do that, you will have an updated version of your original Word .doc or .docx file that you can share and open in Microsoft Office.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
How to convert a Word document to a Google Doc on desktop or mobile
How to convert PDFs into Word files and edit them on a Mac computer
How to password protect a PDF on a Mac computer to secure sensitive files
‘Can you get Microsoft Word on an iPad?’: Yes, you can — here’s how to download and set it up
How to convert a JPG image to a PDF document on your Mac computer using the Preview app
SEE ALSO: The best all-in-one PCs you can buy
Join the conversation about this story »
NOW WATCH: Why it’s so hard for planes to land on water