- To turn off notifications on a Windows 10 computer, you’ll need to open your system’s “Notifications and actions settings” menu.
- You can turn off all notifications at once, or choose to mute notifications only for specific programs.
- To reach the menu where you can turn off all of your notifications, you just have to use Windows’ Start menu.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
If you’ve been using Windows 10 for long enough, you’re probably used to being swarmed by notifications. It seems like every program has something to tell you.
And perhaps you’d like to avoid seeing another notification about plugging or unplugging a USB.
Luckily, salvation from one of Windows’ consistent annoyances is at hand.
Here’s how to turn off notifications in Windows 10 — either from all your applications at once, or only from certain programs.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
Windows 10 (From $139.99 at Best Buy)
Lenovo IdeaPad 130 (From $299.99 at Best Buy)
How to turn off notifications on Windows 10
1. Open the Start menu by pressing the Windows key, or by clicking the Windows icon at the bottom-left of the screen.
2. Search “Notifications” and select “Notifications and actions settings” in the search results.
3. A new menu will open. Near the top of this menu, there should be a toggle switch labeled, “Get notifications from apps and other senders.” Switch it to “Off.” This will turn off all notifications.
4. Two checkboxes remain: “Show me the Windows welcome experience…” and “Get tips and tricks…” These are like tutorials — if you’re already familiar with how Windows 10 works, it’s recommended that you uncheck these boxes as well.
5. Alternatively, if you scroll down, you can turn off notifications on an individual application-by-application basis. If you turned all your notifications off already, these switches will be greyed out.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
How to convert a JPG file to a PDF on a Windows 10 computer using the default Photos app
How to search in Windows 10 to find a file, folder, or program faster, using 2 different methods
How to clear cookies on your Windows 10 computer in 3 different browsers
How to create a shortcut in Windows 10 to open any program, file, or folder faster
How to change your default web browser on Windows 10, where you can install and switch between different browsers
SEE ALSO: The best routers for fast Wi-Fi at home
Join the conversation about this story »
NOW WATCH: Why it’s so hard for planes to land on water