- You can easily access and listen to audiobooks on your iPhone using a third-party app or the built-in Apple Books app.
- Here’s how to get started downloading and listening to audiobooks in the Apple Books app.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
It’s quaint to think of the days when listening to an audiobook meant keeping track of — and not scratching — multiple compact discs.
Today, access to an audiobook is as easy as having access to an iPhone.
And while there are lots of quality third-party apps out there for listening to audiobooks, the iPhone’s proprietary audiobook platform, Apple Books, is a worthy app as well.
If you’re ready to add more than music and podcasts to your iPhone’s audio lineup, here’s how to get started downloading and listening to audiobooks in the Apple Books app:
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
iPhone 11 (From $699.99 at Best Buy)
How to listen to audiobooks on your iPhone
1. Open the Apple Books app on your iPhone. If you’ve never used it and aren’t sure where it lives on your iPhone, swipe right from the middle of the screen to pull up the search bar.
2. Tap “Audiobooks” from the menu at the bottom of the screen. You can also tap “Explore Audiobooks” from the “Reading Now” tab, which is the page that opens anytime you launch the app, to be taken to the same page.
3. Here, you can find an audiobook by exploring categories, like “New & Trending,” the top charting audiobooks, or special price deals.
4. If however, you know what audiobook you’d like to download, go straight to the “Search” tab, on the far right and type in the name.
5. Tap the book that you’d like to listen to, making sure the title is under the “Audiobooks” category.
6. You can choose to preview the book, gift it, add it to a wish list, and more. If you’re ready to buy, tap the black “Buy” button, which will include the price of the audiobook.
7. The book will usually start downloading immediately if you are connected to Wi-Fi. Tap “Listen” to start listening right away.
If you want to come back to the audiobook later, you can find it in “Library” within Apple Books.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
How to make a picture fit as a wallpaper on your iPhone
How to do fractions on your iPhone calculator in 2 basic ways
How to get dark mode on Instagram for an iPhone using iOS 13
How to block text messages on your iPhone from specific senders, and unblock them if you change your mind
‘Why am I not getting notifications on my iPhone?’: How to fix notifications issues so you never miss an update
SEE ALSO: The best iPhone for every type of person and budget
Join the conversation about this story »
NOW WATCH: Inside the US government’s top-secret bioweapons lab