- The Raise to Wake feature on your iPhone will wake your device’s screen when you lift it from a flat surface, causing it to light up.
- It’s easy to turn Raise to Wake on or off in the Display and Brightness section of Settings.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Raise to Wake is what allows your iPhone to become active when you lift it from a flat surface.
This setting is especially useful if you have to use your iPhone in an area with little to no light, as it will immediately light up when you lift it.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
iPhone 11 (From $699.99 at Best Buy
What Raise to Wake is on your iPhone, and how to turn it on or off
However, sometimes you might not want a simple motion to be able to turn your phone active.
This can be particularly true if, for example, you put it in your pocket and don’t want it to turn on when you move.
Either way, you should know how to turn your iPhone’s Raise to Wake function on and off.
1. Open Settings.
2. Scroll down to and tap on Display and Brightness.
3. Raise to Wake is the middle item in the menu. If it’s on, the button next to it will be light green.
4. To turn it off, tap on the toggle so it doesn’t show green.
When Raise to Wake is off, you will have to hit the home button (the button on the bottom of your iPhone) to awake your iPhone so you can use it.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
How to use Do Not Disturb on an iPhone to silence notifications and limit distractions
iOS 13 lets you automatically close tabs in the Safari browser on an iPhone after a set period of time — here’s how to do it
iOS 13 has a new feature that limits the data usage on your iPhone — here’s how to use Low Data Mode
How to copy and paste using gestures on an iPhone with iOS 13, and edit text in an instant
SEE ALSO: The best iPhone for every type of person and budget
Join the conversation about this story »
NOW WATCH: If you want an emoji that isn’t available, you can create it. Here’s how everyday people send their submissions.