- “Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order” brings the classic series of Marvel beat ’em up games to the Nintendo Switch after a 13-year hiatus.
- Up to four players can join together to fight against Thanos and The Black Order with more than 30 playable Marvel superheroes.
- While the original “Marvel Ultimate Alliance” games were mostly based on Marvel comics, the new game incorporates popular designs based on the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- “Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3” is a perfect game to take on the go and share with friends, and improves on the formula that made the series iconic.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The Avengers have been dominating the box office for the last decade, but video games featuring the full cast of Marvel superheroes have been few and far between. Luckily, Nintendo has revived a classic series of beat ’em up games to help Marvel fans get their fix.
“Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order” was released for the Nintendo Switch on July 19th and features more than 30 playable Marvel superheroes, from the Avengers to the X-Men. Up to four players can team up locally on one Switch or with separate consoles online. If you’re playing alone you’ll be able to swap between a team of four Marvel heroes whenever you want.
When “Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2” was released back in 2006 the series relied heavily on Marvel comics for inspiration, but the latest game feels more like a product of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Designs for characters like the Guardians of the Galaxy are clearly based on their MCU counterparts and the story is strikingly similar to “Avengers: Infinity War.”
Nintendo’s decision to revive the “Marvel Ultimate Alliance” series comes at the peak of Marvel mania– “Avengers Endgame” became the highest grossing movie of all-time just a day after the game’s release. While “Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3” has obvious influences from the movie franchise, it retains a style and personality that stays true to the comics and the earlier games in the series. Most importantly, keeping the game as a Switch exclusive means that Marvel fans will need to pick up Nintendo’s increasingly popular to get their fix of Avengers action.
In contrast, Square Enix’s “Avengers” game has been harshly criticized for using knockoff versions of the original “Avengers” actors, and the game wont arrive until May of 2020. By then Marvel will be releasing a fresh slate of movies with a new lineup of actors.
Read more: The huge new ‘Avengers’ game is getting roasted because its superheroes look like knockoffs from the movies — here’s how they compare
Whether you’re a Marvel fan or not, “Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3” offers simple, cooperative fun that’s perfect to take on the go with the Switch. Dedicated players will enjoy powering up their favorite heroes and customizing their abilities and outfits to make the perfect team of superheroes.
Here’s what it’s like playing “Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order,” one of the year’s best Nintendo Switch exclusives:
SEE ALSO: The Nintendo Switch is the hottest game console in the world — here are its 20 best games