- You can’t change your Snapchat username without deleting your account and creating a new one with your desired username.
- You can, however, change your Snapchat display name at any time in the mobile app on your iPhone or Android.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
If you’re looking to change your Snapchat username on an existing account, brace yourself: You can’t change your Snapchat username without deleting your account.
That said, you can still change your display name, which is the name that shows up just below your profile photo, or bitmoji, next to your Snapchat score.
Here’s what you’ll need to know to change your Snapchat display name via the mobile app on your iPhone or Android.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
iPhone Xs (From $999.99 at Best Buy)
Google Pixel 3 (From $699.99 at Best Buy)
How to change your Snapchat display name
Changing your display name is super easy and doing so will only take a minute.
1. Open your Snapchat app and tap your profile photo or bitmoji to open your profile.
2. Tap the gear icon to open your settings.
3. Under “My Account,” select “Name.”
4. Enter your desired Snapchat display name.
You can change your display name to whatever you want. But keep in mind that people who have you saved in their phone’s contacts may still see the name they saved you under, rather than this new display name.
If changing your Snapchat display name isn’t sufficient, you’ll have to deactivate your current account and create a new one with your desired username. That can only be accomplished via the web browser version of Snapchat, so make sure you know your password or reset it to something more memorable.
Before going ahead with that decision, however, you should also be aware that deleting your account will mean that your current username will be unavailable to you in the future. So you’ll have to weigh your options to pick the one that works best for you.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
How to change your Twitter username on a computer or mobile device
How to delete old tweets from Twitter
How to delete your Facebook account on a desktop browser or mobile app
How to make your Instagram private and hide your account from everyone except the followers you approve
SEE ALSO: The best iPhone for every type of person and budget
Join the conversation about this story »
NOW WATCH: 5 things wrong with Apple’s lightning cable