- It’s possible to find someone on Snapchat in three different ways.
- You can find and add someone on Snapchat by syncing your phone’s contacts, searching for their username, or scanning a Snapcode.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Snapchat is one of the most unique and engaging social media platforms out there.
The premise is simple: post photos and videos that expire within 24 hours, or send them privately to a contact and they’ll expire after viewing.
Plus, the service offers plenty of fun filters to enhance your posts – from dog ears to floating hearts – and even geotags to commemorate special events or locations you visit.
It’s no wonder that Snapchat has over 190 million users around the globe every single day.
If you use Snapchat on your iPhone or Android, chances are you’ve added your friends, family, and maybe even your romantic partner as a contact.
But what if you want to find someone you just met on the network – or even follow a celebrity you think may have a Snapchat account?
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
iPhone Xs (From $999 at Best Buy)
Google Pixel 3 (From $699.99 at Best Buy)
How to find someone on Snapchat
Finding people on Snapchat is easy and can be done in three different ways on your iPhone or Android.
Here’s everything you need to know to find someone on Snapchat:
How to sync your phone’s contacts to Snapchat
1. On your phone’s home screen, locate and tap the Snapchat icon to open the app.
2. In the top left hand corner of your screen, tap your profile icon, which may appear as a Bitmoji.
3. Just below your profile information, tap the “Find friends on Snapchat” button, which will lead you to sync your phone’s contacts to the Snapchat app.
4. Next, you’ll be asked to confirm that you want to find your friends by syncing your contacts. Click the blue Continue button to proceed.
5. A pop-up will appear asking for Snapchat to access your contacts. Press “OK” to allow this.
6. Once your contacts are synced, anyone who has a Snapchat account will appear in list form. To add an account, tap + Add next to their name. Note that any of your contacts who are not on Snapchat can be invited by tapping the + Invite button next to their name.
How to search for a user by their Snapchat username
1. Tap the Snapchat icon on your phone’s home screen to launch the app.
2. In the search bar at the top of the screen, type the person’s username you’re trying to locate.
3. Usernames that match your search or are close to it will appear below automatically. Once you find the person you’re looking for, tap the + Add button next to their name to add that person.
How to scan a user’s Snapcode
Every Snapchat user has a unique Snapcode, which is basically a QR code that can be scanned in the app to find that user and add them immediately.
If you’re with someone or you have access to their Snapcode and want to add them, here’s how to do it.
1. Open Snapchat by tapping the app’s icon on your phone’s home screen.
2. Once in Snapchat, go to camera mode (the screen which displays the camera for you to take photos or videos).
3. Have the user open their Snapchat app and find their Snapcode by tapping on their profile icon in the upper left hand corner of the app. The yellow box with the dots and their icon is their Snapcode.
4. Point your camera to the user’s Snapcode and tap and hold the screen for a few seconds before letting go. The camera should automatically scan the Snapcode and locate their account.
5. Tap Add Friend to add the person to your Snapchat contacts list.
It should be noted that you don’t necessarily need to be with someone to scan their Snapcode. A screenshot or photo of their Snapcode can also be scanned by your phone to locate their Snapchat account.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
How to change your Snapchat display name – since you can’t change your username
How to delete old tweets from Twitter
How to delete or deactivate your Snapchat account, which you can only do from a desktop browser
How to make your Instagram private and hide your account from everyone except the followers you approve
SEE ALSO: The best iPhone cases for every model
Join the conversation about this story »
NOW WATCH: 5 things wrong with Apple’s lightning cable