The Indian Army said on Tuesday that at least 20 soldiers died during the “violent face-off” with Chinese troops along the Line of Actual Control on Monday, India Today reported. Earlier reports had said that three soldiers – including a colonel – had been killed.
At least 43 Chinese soldiers were either killed or injured in the clash, ANI reported, citing “Indian intercepts”.
Indian Army confirms 20 deaths. Toll could go up further.
— Rahul Kanwal (@rahulkanwal) June 16, 2020
Indian intercepts reveal that Chinese side suffered 43 casualties including dead and seriously injured in face-off in the Galwan valley: Sources confirm to ANI pic.twitter.com/xgUVYSpTzs
— ANI (@ANI) June 16, 2020
Three of the deceased Indian soldiers have been identified as Colonel B Santosh Babu, Havildar Palani and Sepoy Ojha. This is the first such incident along the border with China in nearly 45 years. Four Indian soldiers had lost their lives in an ambush at Tulung La in Arunachal Pradesh in 1975.
The Ministry of External Affairs has alleged that the face-off at Eastern Ladakh’s Galwan Valley was due to China’s attempt to unilaterally change the status quo in the area. “On the late-evening and night of 15th June, 2020, a violent face-off happened as a result of an attempt by the Chinese side to unilaterally…