- When you connect your Amazon Fire Stick to the internet you can stream movies, shows, music, and games via the web.
- If you don’t connect your Fire Stick to the internet, you can mirror content from your iPhone or iPad using a third-party app.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Your Amazon Fire TV Stick is meant to stream movies, shows, and games via the internet. Without a good connection to a strong internet signal, your Fire Stick is going to vastly underperform, to say the least.
But that doesn’t mean you can’t use your Fire TV Stick at all if you aren’t connected to the internet. You can mirror video content from your iPhone or iPad without using the internet through a third-party app.
Here’s how to mirror content on your Amazon Fire TV Stick for those times when you don’t have an internet connection.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K (From $34.99 at Amazon)
iPhone 11 (From $699.99 at Best Buy)
iPad (From $329.99 at Best Buy)
How to mirror content onto your Amazon Fire TV Stick
You’ll need to download a third-party app on your Amazon Fire TV Stick in order to mirror from your iPhone or iPad. While there are many apps available for this, AirScreen is a free Amazon app that works well with iOS devices.
1. Make sure your iOS device and your Fire Stick are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. You can check this by naviagting to your Fire Stick’s settings page and clicking on “Network.” On your iOS device, open your Settings app and then tap “Wi-Fi.”
2. Once you’ve downloaded and set up a third-party app on your Fire Stick to mirror your device, bring the device that you’d like to mirror within range of your Fire Stick.
3. Swipe down from the top-right corner of the screen on an iPhone X or later, or swipe up from the bottom of the screen on older iPhones, to open the Control Center and then tap “Screen mirroring” and select your Fire TV device. Depending on which operating system you have on your iPad, either swipe down from the top of your screen or from the top-right corner and follow the same steps.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
How to update your Amazon Fire Stick to the latest software
How to set up an Amazon Fire Stick, Amazon’s portable media streaming device, for the first time
How to reset an Amazon Fire TV Stick to its factory settings, whether it’s malfunctioning or you want a fresh start
How to restart your Amazon Fire Stick in 3 different ways
How to pair an Amazon Fire Stick remote with your Fire Stick, and add up to 7 remotes to your system
SEE ALSO: The best iPhone for every type of person and budget
Join the conversation about this story »
NOW WATCH: A Georgetown professor explains how Martin Luther King Jr. ‘has been severely whitewashed’