- You can save a video from Facebook Messenger on your iPhone or Android phone in just a few steps.
- You cannot save videos that were originally uploaded on Facebook — only videos that were uploaded directly onto Messenger can be saved on your phone.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Photos and videos are shared online every day, and you may want to save some of these moments on your phone.
Maybe your brother sent you a funny video of the family dog, or your mom found a cute video of you when you were young. Regardless of the context, saving videos sent through Facebook Messenger is quite simple.
Unfortunately, you cannot save videos that were shared directly from Facebook. The video must be uploaded by the sender via Facebook Messenger.
This process is similar for iPhones and Android phones, although the buttons you’ll need to press may have slightly different labels. For this guide, we will be using screenshots from an iPhone to provide illustrations.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
iPhone 11 (From $699.99 at Best Buy)
Samsung Galaxy S10 (From $899.99 at Best Buy)
How to save a video from Facebook Messenger
1. Open the Facebook Messenger app.
2. Scroll through your list of contacts and find a conversation that has a video you want to save on your phone.
3. Hold the video file while it is still in preview mode. After holding the video for a few seconds, tap the “Save” option as it appears on the screen. Remember, you cannot save videos that were originally uploaded on Facebook. You can only save videos that were uploaded by someone else (like a video recorded on the person’s phone).
4. Exit out of the app and go to your phone’s media gallery to find the saved video. You can watch and or edit the video once it is saved — in the Photos app on an iPhone, or in the analogous photo app on an Android.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
How to log out of Facebook Messenger on an iPhone, through Facebook’s desktop site or mobile apps
How to delete all of your Facebook messages at once, using a Google Chrome browser extension
How to delete Facebook messages on your computer or mobile device
How to see who is following your Facebook profile or page
How to save videos on Facebook to your phone or computer
SEE ALSO: The best iPhone for every type of person and budget
Join the conversation about this story »
NOW WATCH: Inside the US government’s top-secret bioweapons lab