- Despite having access to numerous expensive flagship smartphones, like those from Apple and Samsung, my SIM card usually ends up in phones from a little known smartphone maker to the US — OnePlus.
- OnePlus phones have consistently prove to be excellent devices for nearly half the price of their competitors.
- They’re popular around the world, but not so in the US because Americans typically buy their phones from carriers, which don’t feature OnePlus phones.
- Check out why I recommend OnePlus phones to friends and family before recommending Apple’s iPhones or Samsung’s Galaxy S phones.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
For months, I’ve been placing smartphones from OnePlus ahead of the likes of Apple and Samsung in my top 20 smartphones list, and I thought it was time to elaborate on why.
You may be thinking, “Shouldn’t mega-phones from the biggest names in tech get the top spot on the list?” No! Not at all! Apple and Samsung are just names to me. What matters most are the phones themselves and what they propose for their price tags.
And at the end of the day, it’s always OnePlus phones that come out on top.
OnePlus phones aren’t that well known in the US because they’re not typically sold in carrier stores, which happens to be where most Americans buy their smartphones (usually, people in the US will have to buy OnePlus phones from the company’s website). But hopefully, more Americans will get to see that OnePlus phones actually exist, since now you can find them in T-Mobile stores.
Here’s what makes OnePlus phones so great:
SEE ALSO: The 20 best smartphones in the world
OnePlus phones are much cheaper than other flagships from Samsung, LG, and Apple. Some may take that as a bad sign, but it’s not bad at all.
OnePlus has marketed its phones as “flagship killers,” and unlike other catchy marketing phrases, the company’s claim actually holds water.
OnePlus phones are typically hundreds of dollars less than the competition while sporting the same or similar specs, performance, and premium design.
Despite their lower price tags, OnePlus phones run on the same chips as the more expensive devices.
Each OnePlus phone so far has included the top mobile chip of any given year — the same chip used in more expensive flagship phones.
OnePlus phones even outperform most of the more expensive models.
While testing and actively using OnePlus phones, I’ve found they perform as well or better than most high-end Android flagships. That can partly be attributed to the extra RAM that OnePlus phones have compared to most other smartphones. It’s only recently that phones from Samsung have started to catch up with OnePlus, a comparatively tiny smartphone maker.
RAM is a type of memory that stores apps you’ve recently opened, and it lets you return to that app without the app having to open from scratch. The more RAM a device has, the more things you’ve recently done on your phone it can store.
As a result, switching between apps and swiping around OnePlus devices feels fast and fluid, sometimes even more so than more expensive flagships.
See the rest of the story at Business Insider