Zakia Jafri approached the Gujarat High Court by Challenging Clean chit

 Ahmedabad ,18 Mrach(AIR/PTI): Zakia Jafri, widow of former Congress MP Ehsan Jafri, today approached the Gujarat High Court challenging the Ahmedabad metropolitan court order upholding SIT’s clean chit to Gujarat Chief minister Narendra Modi and others in connection with the 2002 riots case.

Zakia Jafri approached the Gujarat High Court by Challenging Clean chit

Zakia Jafri approached the Gujarat High Court by Challenging Clean chit

The petition filed before the High Court demands to make Narendra Modi and 59 others accused on the charges of criminal conspiracy behind the riots.

On December 26 last year, metropolitan magistrate B J Ganatra had rejected Zakia Jafri’s protest petition challenging the Supreme Court-appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT) clean chit to Modi.

“We have challenged the metropolitan court’s order which validates clean chit to Chief Minister Narendra Modi,” social activist Teesta Setalwad told PTI in Ahmedabad.

The petition filed before the High Court demands to make Mr. Modi and 59 others accused on the charges of criminal conspiracy behind the riots.

“The Metropolitan Judge has simply accepted the contentions in the closure report of SIT without considering substantive arguments of the applicant (Ms. Zakia Jafri),” the petition reads.

On December 26, 2013 metropolitan magistrate B.J. Ganatra had rejected Ms. Zakia Jafri’s protest petition challenging the SIT clean chit to Modi.

On February 8, 2012, the Supreme Court-appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT) had filed a closure report and given a clean chit to Mr. Modi and others.

“SIT has not conducted free and fair investigation against the accused No. 1 (Mr. Modi),” the petitioner alleged. The High Court is likely to conduct the hearing on Ms. Zakia Jafri’s petition on March 20, 2014.

On February 28, 2002, following the Godhra train carnage, 68 people, including Mr. Ehsan Jafri, were killed by a mob at Gulberg Society in Ahmedabad during the riots.

“Make Narendra Modi and 59 others accused in charges of criminal conspiracy to commit mass murder, arson, rape and also tampering with evidence and destroying valuable records of the Gujarat Home Department,” the petition demands.

Ms. Zakia Jafri prayed for the rejection of magisterial court’s order which validates the SIT’s closure report.

“The Metropolitan Magistrate committed a fundamental error by not dealing with the substantive arguments laid down by Zakia Jafri in written and oral submissions,” the petition, which runs into about 540 pages, stated.

In this December 26, 2013 photo, Zakia Jafri listens to her son Tanveer Jafri, son of former Congress MP Ehsan Jafri, after a court ruling rejecting a petition seeking the prosecution of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, in Ahmedabad.
Zakia Jafri listens to her son Tanveer Jafri (Photo : AP)

It also alleged that the judge has simply accepted the contentions in the closure report with “non-application of mind”.

“The judge has not established the involvement of accused No. 1 (Mr. Modi) by not considering the phone call contacts between him and co-conspirators,” it says.

“He (Mr. Modi) had failed to take preventive measures and instead supported a bandh, allow post-mortems of gruesome burned bodies in the open and allow the streets of cities and villages to be taken over by rampaging mobs.

“Illegal instructions were issued to high level policemen and bureaucrats, at a controversial meeting held on February 27, 2002 night, not to follow the law the next day (February 28),” it said.

The petition has also alleged that the destruction of key records was carried out to ensure injustice to the victims in which Chief Minister’s office and Home Department were allegedly involved.

The petition alleged that the metropolitan court did not consider those facts as well as the statements of the key witnesses.

“Statements of former CM Suresh Mehta, slain State Home Minister Haren Pandya, Justice Sawant and Justice Suresh under 161 CrPC related to the controversial meeting on February 27, 2002, were brushed aside by the judge,” it said.

It has been stated that on February 27, 2002 there was a meeting called by Mr. Modi, where he had allegedly told to go soft on the Hindu mob, the petition said.

“The judge evaluated the statements and set them aside, while the apex court had ruled that a trial court cannot evaluate the statements taken during the investigation until there are some judicial errors,” the petition mentioned.