New Delhi(web team): In the first such cross-border operation, special forces of the army in coordination with the air force on Tuesday carried out a surgical strike inside Myanmar, killing nearly 20 insurgents of the groups believed to be responsible for the deadly ambush in Manipur that killed 18 soldiers.
In an early morning operation, elite commandos of the army went a few kilometers inside the Myanmar territory to destroy two camps of insurgents hiding there after their attacks in Manipur and Arunachal Pradesh last week by NSCN(K) and KYKL outfits.
The operation was guided by “specific and precise” intelligence input, highly placed sources said.
About 15 to 20 insurgents were killed in the assault, the sources said, adding there were no casualties among the Indian soldiers.
Commenting on the operation, minister of state for information and broadcasting Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore, a former colonel, said, “We crossed over to the Myanmar territory. We have good relations with them and we carried out the strike.”
Earlier, Indian Army on Tuesday said it neutralised a high number of insurgents on the Indo-Myanmar border in response to the killing of its 18 soldiers in Manipur’s Chandel district last week.
Earlier additional director general of military operations, Major General Ranveer Singh, told reporters here that “in the course of the last few days, credible and specific intelligence was received about further attacks that were being planned within our territory. These attacks were to be carried out by some of the groups involved in earlier attacks on our security personnel and their allies”.
“Army engaged two separate groups of insurgents along the Indo-Myanmar border at two locations. Significant casualties have been inflicted on them. As a result, threats to our civilian population and security forces were averted,” said Singh adding that more such operations, in cooperation with Myanmar authority can be planned in future.
On June 6, dna reported that a day after 18 soldiers of 6 Dogra Regiment were killed in an ambush, Army had launched a massive ‘trace-and-hunt’ operation to avenge the killing coinciding with army chief General Dalbir SIngh Suhag’s visit there in the aftermath of the attack.Security forces on foot and aided by military choppers had been combing the area in the remote mountainous forests along the Indo-Myanmar border.
The ambush was carried out with land mines, rocket-propelled grenades and automatic weapons, suspected to be belonging to Manipur rebel outfits, National Socialist Council of Nagaland (Khaplang) or NSCN(K), Kanglei Yawol Kanna Lup (KYKL) and Kangleipak Communist Party (KCP).
Questions have come to haunt the Army intelligence on its failure to detect such a threat despite the incident happening close to the regimental centre and whether the standard operating procedure was followed by sanitising the road that the convoy took.
In Tuesday’s media brief by the Army, officials didn’t take any questions from a group of reporters present there.
The National Investigating Agency (NIA) is probing the attack.