NEW DELHI,Shahkar Abidi(DNA) : After finding three terror threats scribbled inside toilets at Mumbai airport, warning of an attack by ISIS, ahead of US president Barack Obama’s visit, security agencies are leaving no stone unturned to secure the airport completely. Every year, the police make elaborate arrangements for January 26 as there is always a threat perception.
What’s the latest security measure?
In the latest move, the temporary entry passes which are issued to people other than the passengers for getting inside the airport have been discontinued till January 26. Those who are issued these passes include workers and security officials. Sources say this may affect the operation of stores inside and other work being on the premises.
How is CISF checking preparedness?
The Central Industrial Security Force (CISF), which is mandated with securing the airport’s airside and landside, is sending decoys to check its own members’ preparedness. In the past few days, a CISF team dressed in civil uniform has been getting inside using fake air tickets.
“Though on most occasions, the security’s found to be foolproof, there were occasions when it was found lacking in certain areas,” said a senior official from the security establishment.
What did forces do last year?
Last year, they had received intelligence inputs that terrorists might use paragliders and remote-controlled micro-light aircraft at Shivaji Park to create trouble. This prompted the department to beef up security. The police had also requested the Airports Authority of India and the DGCA not to fly anything over the parade ground, where VVIPs, including the governor and chief minister, and children gather on Republic Day. They are expected to make the request this year as well.
And what’s their plan for Shivaji Park this year?
Force One and Quick Response teams will be kept on reserve at the spot. “We will conduct reconnaissance of nearby high-rises (around the ground) and position policemen with snipers on them. After having found the graffiti, we will not take any chances,” said a senior officer, who added that nearly a 1,000 policemen will be on bandobast duty on January 26.