New Delhi(TH): A stone was allegedly thrown at a Syro-Malabar Catholic Church in Jasola, Okhla, where Saturday mass was being celebrated around 6-45 p.m. The Deputy Commissioner of Police (South-East), M.S. Randhawa, however, denied the incident.
Third Attack in a Week on Church but police deny charge
Those present in the church when the alleged incident took place said though no one was injured, window panes were shattered on the first floor of the church even as panicked parishioners and those participating in the mass rushed out.
Speaking to The Hindu while he was on his way to assess the damage, Archbishop Kuriakose Bharanikulangara of Faridabad-Delhi Syro-Malabar Catholic Diocese, which has over a lakh membership in Delhi, said: “I have just been informed about the incident and am on my way to the Church which is relatively new. A Malayalam mass was on when the alleged attack took place. Though no one has been injured, parishioners are anxious.”
He said the local police had been informed about the incident. DCP Randhawa, however, denied the alleged attack and said no criminal case had been registered.
According to a police source, a call was made by the church administration after it found “an unusually large gathering of local boys” outside its vicinity and panicked fearing the worst. “We rushed a team to the spot as soon as the call was logged and realised that it was a misunderstanding on the part of the mass attendees. No damage could be ascertained as claimed by the caller,” the police source said. [Source: The Hindu ]