- Amazon has already made reading, shopping, music listening, and just about everything else easier, and now, it’s improving upon your movie and TV watching experience, too.
- Prime Video gets you access not only to some of your favorite classic movies and TV shows, but also popular original content like “The Man in the High Castle” and “Transparent.”
- Read on to find out more about Prime Video and how you can start watching thousands of movies and shows for a low price.
- See more: The best streaming services you can sign up for online
The at-home theater experience has gotten a whole lot more convenient thanks to Amazon. Your go-to retailer for everything from flower pots to fashion accessories is also now one of the best places to get your Friday night entertainment.
Prime Video not only gives you access to tons of your favorite movies and TV shows but also offers some of the most popular original content around, like “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel,” “Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan,” and “Fleabag”. Outside of all the titles included as part of your subscription, Prime Video also features a library of additional movies and shows that you can rent or buy individually for an extra fee, including a few brand-new movies that were just released in theaters.
Prime Video also allows you to add other premium channels, including HBO, Starz, and Showtime to your subscription, though you’ll have to pay an additional monthly cost. But if you’re looking to dump cable and add more streaming services to your entertainment roster, then read on to find out how to use Amazon Prime Video.
1. Sign up for a Prime Video or an Amazon Prime membership.
Prime Video is available as a part of an Amazon Prime subscription or as a standalone service that you can sign up for without a Prime membership. An Amazon Prime membership currently costs $119 per year or $12.99 per month. Meanwhile, a standalone Prime Video subscription costs $8.99 per month.
Considering all of the added benefits that a full Amazon Prime membership comes with — including free two-day shipping on many items — we recommend signing up for Prime Video as part of Amazon Prime. If you really only want Prime Video streaming and have no interest in any other Amazon perks, however, the standalone plan is still a solid option.
Signing up is easy in either case — just click this link to sign up. New subscribers get a free 30-day trial to test out the service.
2. Head over to Prime Video.
To start using Prime video you can simply head over to the Prime Video homepage, where you’ll be able to see all movies, TV shows, and other content that is included with your subscription. You certainly won’t run out of things to watch. Prime Video has well north of 20,000 movies and 2,000 shows in the US, and that number is only growing as the company continues to invest in more original content.
3. Decide how you want to watch.
Prime Video gives you the option to watch on-demand footage through your web browser, the Prime Video app on your phone or tablet, or on your television through a streaming device (like the Fire TV Stick or a game console). Regardless of what medium you choose, all you’ll need is your Amazon login information in order to start streaming. All Prime content is marked with a blue label and is free with your standard Prime subscription.
- On your computer: If you’re watching on your computer, all you’ll need to do is select the title you’re interested in, and hit play. You can pause at any point and come back to the same spot, so if life gets in the way of your binging habit, you won’t lose all your progress.
- On your phone or tablet: Whether you’re an iPhone or an Android user, you’ll want to download the Amazon Prime Video app in order to download and stream films and television content right onto your phone (the same goes for Apple or Android tablets). Then, simply sign into your Amazon account, and start selecting titles. You’ll have the option of downloading content via Wi-Fi to watch offline, which can be key for long plane, train, or car rides.
- On a TV: There are several ways to watch Prime Video on your television, and it all depends on whether you’re using a smart TV or using an external streaming device (like Roku, a Fire TV Stick, or a game console). Regardless of which method you select, the process is largely the same. You’ll want to find the Amazon Prime Video app on either your smart TV or your streaming device and then log into your account. Once you’re signed in, you should be able to select and watch your favorite content at will, and on the big screen.
Join the conversation about this story »