- The only way to delete your Google Hangouts account is to delete your entire Google account; Hangouts is inextricably linked to your main Google account.
- If you don’t want to delete your entire Google account, you can change your Hangouts settings so that no one can contact you.
- You can also delete the Google Hangouts mobile app, so that none of its data will be on your phone.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Google Hangouts is a great platform for friends or family who want to congregate in a digital group, as well as for companies to create virtual meetings. Hangouts sessions can consist of voice, video, and chat exchanges, which makes them a versatile tool.
On the other hand, if you don’t need to use Hangouts but keep getting requests, it might just be annoying. Sudden chat windows and calls can interrupt your workflow and clutter up your screen easily.
So if you never use Google Hangouts, why not just delete it?
Unfortunately, it isn’t as easy to delete a Google Hangouts account as you might like.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
MacBook Pro (From $1,299.99 at Best Buy)
Lenovo IdeaPad (From $299.99 at Best Buy)
iPhone 11 (From $699.99 at Best Buy)
Samsung Galaxy S10 (From $899.99 at Best Buy)
You can’t delete your Google Hangouts account without deleting your Google account
Hangouts is built into your Google account — this means that the only way to delete Hangouts is to delete your Google account entirely.
If you don’t want to do this, however, you have a few options for making your Hangouts account less intrusive.
Here’s what you need to know, whether you’re using Google Hangouts on your Mac, PC, iPhone, or Android device.
How to turn off Google Hangouts alerts
You can limit how people contact you on Hangouts, essentially disabling it so you can’t be bothered.
On your Mac or PC, go to hangouts.google.com and log into your account, then follow these steps.
1. Click the three bars at top-left to open a menu, then click “Settings.”
2. Click “Customize invite settings.”
3. Under “People with your phone number” and “People with your email address,” change the option to “Can send you an invitation” (instead of “Can contact you directly”).
4. Under “Everyone else,” choose “Can’t send invites.”
5. Click on your profile picture at the top-right of the screen and hit “Sign out.”
Now no one can contact you directly, though people who have your info can still invite you to a hangout. You may receive an email when this happens, which you can easily delete.
To limit Hangouts’ intrusions on your phone, consider turning off Hangouts notifications in your Settings app. Or better yet, just delete your Hangouts app.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
How to schedule a Google Hangout using Google Calendar
How to record a Google Hangouts session to watch it later or share it with others
You can use Google Hangouts internationally to connect with others abroad, but it may cost a fee
How to use Google Hangouts on your iPhone to start calls and messages, including group conversations
How to share your screen on Google Hangouts, and make your next meeting more efficient
SEE ALSO: The best iPhone for every type of person and budget
Join the conversation about this story »
NOW WATCH: Watch Google reveal the new Nest Mini, which is an updated Home Mini