- To change your homepage on Microsoft Edge, you’ll need to head to your browser’s startup settings.
- Your homepage is the website that loads when you open Microsoft Edge, and can be set to any website.
- You can also customize your “New Tab” page, which is the website that loads when you open a new tab or window.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
There’s no place like home — or your homepage, at least.
You can set a homepage in Microsoft Edge. This is the website your browser will load when it opens for the first time, but not when you open new tabs or windows.
However, you can change your “New Tab” page too. Edge offers you three preset options to choose from, as well as a “Custom” option.
Here’s how to change both your homepage and New Tab page in Microsoft Edge, on a PC or Mac.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
Lenovo IdeaPad 130 (From $299.99 at Best Buy)
MacBook Pro (From $1,299.99 at Best Buy)
How to change your homepage in Microsoft Edge
1. Open Microsoft Edge on your Mac or PC and enter “edge://settings/onStartup” (without the quotes) into your address bar in Edge. Hit Enter or Return on your keyboard to go to that settings page.
2. Click “Open a specific page or pages,” and then “Add a new page.”
3. In the pop-up that appears, type or paste in the URL of the website you want to be your homepage. Then click “Add.”
4. Once you’ve done this, click “Appearance” in the left sidebar.
5. On the page that opens, click the switch next to “Show home button” so it turns blue.
6. A box will open where you can enter a URL. Type or paste in the website that you set as your homepage.
This page is now your browser’s homepage. It’ll load when you open Edge, or when you click the house icon at the top-right of the screen.
However, it won’t load when you open a new tab or window. Here’s how to change that.
How to customize your New Tab page on Microsoft Edge
1. Copy and paste “edge://settings/newTabPage” (without the quotes) into your address bar in Edge. Hit Enter or Return on your keyboard.
2. Select “Customize.”
3. Edge gives you three default layouts; “Focused” will give you a minimalist layout, “Inspirational” will give you the Microsoft picture of the day, and “Informational” will give you a page filled with that day’s news headlines. If none of these options suit you, you can select “Custom.”
4. You can’t set a specific website as your New Tab page, unfortunately. Edge only gives you a limited amount of options for this page: you can keep or remove links to your most visited websites, the picture of the day, and the news headlines.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
How to find your Microsoft Edge browser’s version number, or update to the latest version
How to reset Microsoft Edge to fix faulty settings and free up space on your PC or Mac
How to add icons to your desktop on a Windows 10 PC to easily access the system folders or apps you use regularly
How to stop pop-ups on a Windows 10 computer, both from the internet and your system
How to update Microsoft Edge on your PC or Mac computer to make sure you have the latest features and security fixes
SEE ALSO: The best iPhone for every type of person and budget
Join the conversation about this story »
NOW WATCH: 8 weird robots NASA wants to send to space