- You can change your Xbox One password, which you use to sign in to Xbox services like Xbox Live, in a few simple steps.
- You can use your computer, smartphone, or Xbox One console to change your account password.
- You can also set a 6-digit passkey on your Xbox One to avoid entering your email and password each time you sign in.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more.
In today’s climate, the security of your online accounts is extremely important. With hackers constantly finding new ways to compromise individuals’ personal data, it is important that you regularly update your passwords, even for your gaming consoles.
When you sign up for Xbox services, most notably Xbox Live, you have to set up a Microsoft account. If you feel your personal information has been compromised, you should consider changing your password for your Xbox One.
Here’s how to do it in two different ways.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
Xbox One X (From $499.99 at Best Buy)
How to change your Xbox One password using your console
1. Turn on your Xbox One console and open the Microsoft Edge browser and head to login.live.com.
2. Enter your email and current password. Then, click on your profile picture located on the top of the screen and click “Edit Profile.”
3. On the next page, hover your cursor over “Change Password,” and below it click “Change.”
4. Confirm your current password and then enter and re-enter your new password. Make sure to remember or write down your new password for safekeeping. To change your password, click “Save” and your new password will be effective immediately.
How to change your Xbox One password using your computer, smartphone, or tablet
1. Turn on your device and head to the Microsoft Account login page in your browser.
2. Login by entering your email and current password. Then, click on the “Security” tab at the top of the screen.
3. Click the “Change my password” button in the “Password security” box.
4. Follow the prompts, then on the “Change your password” page confirm your current password and enter and re-enter your new password. Make sure to remember or write down your new password for safekeeping. To change your password, click “Save” and your new password will be effective immediately.
If you want to take your security a step further, you can set up an Xbox One passkey and ensure no unwanted guests can log in to your console.
You can use this passkey as a substitute for signing in or making purchases on Microsoft’s digital storefront, making it much more convenient and less tedious than entering your email and a possibly lengthy password each time you need to access sensitive information on your Xbox One console.
How to set a passkey on your Xbox One
1. Power on your Xbox One and press the Xbox button on your console. Then scroll to the right and click on “System” then “Settings.”
2. In your Settings, scroll down to “Account” then “Sign-in, security & passkey.”
3. In “Sign-in, security & passkey,” click “Create my passkey,” and set up a six-digit password on your console by using your Xbox One controller.
4. After you set up your passkey, head to your “Change my sign-in & security” preferences and choose “Ask for my passkey” which will require you to enter the six-digit password whenever you try to sign in or make digital purchases through the Microsoft Store.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
How to add friends on your Xbox One in 2 different ways
‘Why won’t my Xbox One connect to Wi-Fi?’: 5 ways to troubleshoot your Xbox One’s internet connection
How to update your Xbox One controller in 3 different ways
How to find your Xbox One’s IP address or set up a static IP address on the console
‘Why does my Xbox One turn on by itself?’: How to stop your Xbox from turning on without your command
SEE ALSO: 8 affordable Xbox One accessories that’ll help you make the most of your console
Join the conversation about this story »
NOW WATCH: 8 weird robots NASA wants to send to space