- You can play games on a Roku, although they are simple arcade-style games that can be controlled with the Roku remote.
- To play games on a Roku, you can install them as you would with any other streaming channel.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Your Roku streaming player isn’t just for watching TV shows and movies — it can also play games.
Of course, you’re not going to find sophisticated, PS4-like video games on your Roku. The games are simple and have to work with just the controls on the Roku remote control.
But that doesn’t make them not fun. Sometimes all you want is an arcade-style game to pass the time. To get started, you can install some games from the Roku’s streaming channel store.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
Roku Ultra (From $99.99 at Best Buy)
You can play games on a Roku — here’s how
Games are found in the Roku’s streaming channel store, along with all the usual streaming apps like Netflix, Hulu, and Disney Plus. You can browse and install games in the same way as any other streaming channel.
1. Using the Roku remote control, press the Home button.
2. Select “Streaming Channels.”
3. Select “Games.”
4. You should now see all the games in the channel store. Find a game you want and then select “Add Channel” to install.
5. After you install the game, it’ll appear on the Home screen with all other streaming channel app icons. You can move or uninstall games in the same way as usual streaming channels.
How to play games on your Roku
All Roku games rely on the Roku remote for control, and you’ll find that most games use the four arrow button and the “OK” select button, though some games may use other buttons as well.
Typically, games will display a help screen the first time you play that explains the game’s controls — but even if it does not, you should be able to figure it out by trial and error pretty quickly.
Be aware that while some games are free, some may charge a fee. Most games, though, use ads to generate revenue, so you’ll have to sit through ads before or during gameplay.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
How to get Disney Plus on your Roku device, and watch Disney’s new streaming service with a free 7-day trial
How to connect your Roku device to Google Assistant to control your Roku with voice commands
How to cancel your Roku subscriptions in 2 different ways
How to move channels on your Roku to prioritize the icons you click on most often
You can watch CBS on Roku, but you’ll need a subscription — here’s how to use the CBS All Access app
SEE ALSO: The best media streaming sticks and devices
Join the conversation about this story »
NOW WATCH: Inside the US government’s top-secret bioweapons lab