- You can easily add or delete a guest account on your Mac through the System Preferences app.
- A guest user account on your Mac computer is a safe way to let friends, family, and colleagues use your personal computer without having access to your files.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
A guest user account on a Mac computer functions in two ways — the first being that it allows friends, family, and colleagues quick access to your personal computer so that they can easily sign in to their email or check the news, and the second is that it is a safe way to share your personal laptop with others without allowing them access to your personal files.
If your Mac computer never leaves your sight, making a guest account unnecessary, or if you just want to turn off the guest user account during the holidays so that your curious nieces and nephews don’t have access to your computer, follow the steps below to do so.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
MacBook Pro (From $1,299.99 at Best Buy)
How to delete a guest user account on your Mac
1. Launch System Preferences from your dock or menu bar.
2. At the bottom of the menu, find “Users & Groups” and select it.
3. Click on the lock at the bottom-left hand corner of the screen.
4. Enter your password and select “Unlock.”
5. Under “Other Users,” select “Guest User.” If a guest user account is turned on, anyone with access to your Mac computer has the option to login without a password and roam freely on your desktop — whether to use the internet, play music from an app, or download files to print.
6. To turn off the Guest User account, deselect “Allow guests to log in to this computer” — this will prohibit anyone without the password to your admin account to login to your Mac computer.
7. To ensure the changes you’ve made are saved, select the lock at the bottom of the page once again.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
How to get rid of the Dashboard on a Mac computer running macOS Mojave or earlier
How to disable the trackpad on your Mac computer in 2 different ways
How to flip the screen on your Mac computer in 3 ways through its ‘Displays’ settings
How to find your Mac computer’s serial number in 3 different ways
How to show the battery percentage on your Mac computer and customize your settings to save battery
SEE ALSO: The best MacBooks you can buy
Join the conversation about this story »
NOW WATCH: Apple just revealed its AirPods Pro for $249, which feature noise cancellation. Here’s everything that was wrong with the $159 pair of the wireless headphones.