- You can play YouTube videos on a Google Home in a few different ways.
- If you have a smart TV or compatible device connected to your Google Home, you can simply ask the Google Assistant to play a YouTube video on the device.
- You can also play YouTube videos on Google Home through a connected speaker — just to listen to the audio — with a simple trick.
- Initially, your Google Home will indicate that it can only play YouTube videos on video devices. But you can use the Google Home app to pair your speaker with your phone, and play YouTube videos through the Bluetooth connection.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
A Google Home connects all of the other smart devices in your home, so you can use the Google Assistant to play music, control your smart lights, answer questions, and more.
If you have a smart TV or a smart TV plug-in device — like Chromecast or Roku — you can also use your Google Home to control your TV and play YouTube, Netflix, and other streaming services.
To play a YouTube video on your smart TV through Google Home, simply ask the Google Assistant to play the video on the device, and it should work, as long as you’ve set it up properly.
However, even if you don’t have a smart TV or compatible device, you can still play YouTube videos through your Google Home. You won’t be able to watch the video, but it’s quite useful for playing music, or listening to audio like podcasts.
If you ask your Google Home to play YouTube on a speaker, though, it will inform you that you can only play videos on video devices. Don’t worry — there is a way around this.
Here’s how to do it.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
Google Home (From $49.99 at Best Buy)
Google Chromecast (From $35 at Best Buy)
Roku Ultra (From $99.99 at Best Buy)
iPhone 11 (From $699.99 at Best Buy)
Samsung Galaxy S10 (From $899.99 at Best Buy)
How to play YouTube videos on a Google Home through a speaker
1. Open the Google Home app on your iPhone or Android phone.
2. Tap on the speaker in the home screen.
3. Tap the Settings button in the upper right corner.
4. Scroll down to “Device Settings” and tap “Paired Bluetooth devices,” the seventh item on the list.
5. In the bottom right corner of the screen, tap “Enable Pairing Mode.”
6. Exit the Google Home app and open the Settings app on your iPhone or Android phone. Go to the Bluetooth pairing section.
7. Under “Other devices,” select the name of your speaker.
8. Play your YouTube video. Since your phone is now paired to the speaker, the audio will play through the speaker instead.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
How to set up any Google Home, Google’s versatile smart speaker, in just a few minutes
How to use and customize Google Assistant on your phone or Google Home
How to reset any Google Home device to its factory settings, if it’s malfunctioning or you’re planning to sell it
How to setup and use Google Home with your iPhone or Android device
‘What is a Google Home Hub?’: Everything you need to know about the Google smart device that can help you navigate daily life
SEE ALSO: The best Google Assistant smart speakers
Join the conversation about this story »
NOW WATCH: Watch Elon Musk unveil his latest plan for conquering Mars