- Jony Ive has disappeared from the leadership page on Apple’s website, which lists current executives at the company.
- This suggests the renowned designer of the iPhone, iPod and iPad has finally left Apple after 27 years.
- Ive’s departure was originally announced in June through an Apple company press release. That press release said his departure would occur “later this year.”
- Ive is now thought to be setting up his own design firm, LoveFrom, which will launch in 2020 according to a Financial Times interview with Ive from June. He has also been spotted at various creative events in London in recent months.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Legendary hardware designer Jony Ive no longer features on the leadership page of Apple’s website.
The leadership page lists the key executives at the tech giant, and though familiar names such as Tim Cook remain present, Ive’s name is not present anymore.
Here’s how the page looked before:
And how it looked after:
London-born Ive played a major role in the design of several iconic Apple products, including the iPhone, iPod and iPad. He has worked for Apple since 1992.
The disappearance of his name from Apple’s site is not unexpected, as Ive’s departure from Apple was first announced in June via a company press release. That press release said his departure would occur “later this year.”
Ive is now thought to be setting up his own design firm, LoveFrom, which will launch in 2020 according toa Financial Times interview with Ive from June. Though little is known about the company at present, the FT said Apple will retain LoveFrom for design services relating to a variety of unspecified projects, and LoveFrom will also take on other clients.
The new company’s name is inspired by a conversation Ive had with the late Steve Jobs.
According to Ive, Jobs once “said] that one of the fundamental motivations was that when you make something with love and with care, even though you probably will never meet… the people that you’re making it for, and you’ll never shake their hand, by making something with care, you are expressing your gratitude to humanity, to the species.”
Ive, who was knighted in 2012, has also been spotted at various creative events in London in recent weeks. He was at the UK’s National Portrait Gallery in October, for the unveiling of a portrait photo of himself by renowned German photographer Andreas Gursky, and attended the MATCHESFASHION x Fabien Baron x Phaidon Book Launch that same month.
SEE ALSO: Legendary Apple designer Jony Ive says that a conversation with Steve Jobs inspired the name of his new company LoveFrom: ‘You are expressing your gratitude to humanity’
Join the conversation about this story »
NOW WATCH: Apple just released iOS 13.2 with 60 new emoji and emoji variations. Here’s how everyday people submit their own emoji.