- Apple’s new iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max will ship with a faster 18W charger cable.
- All former iPhones have come with the slower, traditional 5W charger.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The latest iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch aren’t the only pieces of new hardware Apple announced at its headquarters Tuesday: the iPhone charger is getting an update, too.
The iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max, two of the three new iPhone models announced Tuesday, will ship with a new, faster 18W charger. The less-expensive iPhone 11 will still come with a traditional 5W charger, the standard for past iPhones.
It will take about 30 minutes for iPhones using the new charger to reach a 50% charge, Apple says.
Read more: These are Apple’s new iPhones: the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max
In addition to fast charging, Apple has promised that the iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max will each have a longer battery life due to their more efficient Super Retina XDR displays and upgraded power management units.
The battery life of the iPhone 11 Pro is four hours longer than that of iPhone XS, while the iPhone 11 Pro Max has five more hours of battery life than iPhone XS Max. In its release announcing the specs, Apple called the upgrade “our most dramatic leap in battery life ever.”
Read more of Business Insider’s iPhone event coverage:
- This is the iPhone 11
- Apple just unveiled a new 10-inch iPad launching later this month for $329
- People are roasting Apple for trying to make ‘slofies’ happen
- Apple just announced a new Apple Watch with an always-on display for the first time ever
- Apple’s new subscription gaming service launches September 19 and costs $5 per month
- Apple’s streaming service, Apple TV Plus, will cost just $5 a month when it launches November 1
- Here’s everything that happened at Apple’s huge iPhone 11 launch event
Join the conversation about this story »
NOW WATCH: 7 lesser-known benefits of Amazon Prime