- To become a Lyft driver, you have to meet the company’s requirements, which vary depending on where you live and work.
- You don’t necessarily need to have a car to qualify — there’s a program offered by the company that essentially allows you to rent a car strictly for Lyft rides. But it will cost you.
- Here’s what you need to know to become a Lyft driver.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The requirements and documents you’ll need to provide to qualify to become a Lyft driver will vary based on your location.
But, in general, you’ll need to be at least 21 years old, use an iPhone or Android smartphone, and be able to pass national and county background checks, plus a DMV check (not to mention you’ll need to have a valid driver’s licence).
Your car also needs to have at least four doors, between five and eight seatbelts containing five to eight seats including the driver, and you need to have valid car insurance.
There are also certain subcompact cars that can’t be used, even if they satisfy all the other requirements. You can find the list of banned cars on this page.
For those who meet the requirements and can drive in an area where Lyft operates, here’s an overview of the application.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
iPhone Xs (From $999.99 at Best Buy)
Google Pixel 3 (From $799.99 at Best Buy)
How to apply to become a Lyft driver
1. Download the Lyft app and create an account, if necessary.
2. Tap the three bars, then select “Drive with Lyft.”
3. Fill in your email address and your location.
4. Fill out the rest of the online application by following the prompts.
- The company says this part should take less than 30 minutes to complete.
- The background checks, on the other hand, can take weeks to process, depending on your location, so keep that in mind if you’re looking for fast cash.
5. If you pass the application stage and background checks, you’ll have to schedule an appointment at a Lyft-certified inspection center to make sure that your vehicle meets the company’s requirements, and is “road ready.”
If you get delayed during the approval process, you can always check the status of your application at lyft.com/drivers.
What to do if you don’t own a car
While it’s helpful to own the car that you want to use, you don’t necessarily need to own yours in order to be a Lyft driver.
The Express Drive program lets you rent a car to use for Lyft, but keep in mind that it will cost you money to use.
The program also comes with additional requirements — like you must be at least 25 years old, and be able to supply a deposit — and it’s only available in certain locations. You can start an application for it here on Lyft’s website.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
How to check your Uber passenger rating, and improve it if it’s low
How to use Uber promo codes to get free or discounted rides
How to dispute an Uber charge using the mobile app or Uber’s website
How to split an Uber fare with multiple people, or accept a fare-split invitation from someone else
SEE ALSO: The best iPhone for every type of person and budget
Join the conversation about this story »
NOW WATCH: All the ways Amazon is taking over your house