- It’s easy to add a printer in Windows 10 whenever you get a new device.
- You can add a wired or wireless printer to Windows 10 through the Devices menu of your settings, which ensures that you’re able to print documents quickly and easily in the future.
- Windows 10 also allows you to connect multiple printers if you have more than one.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
While pretty much everything is digital these days, sometimes you just can’t beat having paper copies of certain documents. From work contracts to college essays, it’s handy to have a printer attached to your home computer in case you need a hard copy of something.
If you recently purchased a printer and need to set it up in Windows 10, or you simply want to add a printer that’s already set up, doing so is simple and straightforward.
Many printers have wireless capabilities, and you can set them up through this method, but connecting them with a USB cable will work as well. Here’s how to set up both.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
Windows 10 (For $139.99 at Best Buy)
How to add a wired printer in Windows 10
1. Connect the printer to your PC by attaching the USB cord to both devices, and ensure the printer is turned on.
2. Open the Settings app by clicking the Windows icon in your toolbar, and beginning to type Settings until the app appears.
3. Open the Settings app and click on “Devices.”
4. In the Devices menu, click the “Printers & scanners” option on the left-hand side of your screen.
5. Click “Add a Printer or Scanner.” This will prompt Windows to begin searching for available devices to set up.
6. Click on the name of the printer you wish to set up and follow the instructions to finish installation. Note that if your selected printer does not show up in the list, click “The printer I want isn’t listed.” This will launch Windows’ troubleshooting feature, which should help you locate the printer you want to set up.
How to add a wireless printer in Windows 10
Wireless printers are often advanced enough to automate the installation process. However, you’ll still have to start that process, generally through the printer’s LCD screen.
Check your printer’s instruction manual to determine the exact settings you’ll need.
The one piece of information you’ll definitely need to set up your wireless printer is your Wi-Fi network name and password. You should make a note of this before beginning the setup, so that you can enter it when prompted by your printer.
Once the printer is set up, you should automatically see it installed in the Windows 10 Settings app, under the Devices menu.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
How to print from a Mac computer, either wirelessly or with a USB cable
How to print a file from your iPhone or iPad in a few easy steps
How to boot your Windows 10 computer into ‘Safe Mode,’ to diagnose and troubleshoot problems
How to change the screen brightness on any Windows 10 computer in 2 ways
SEE ALSO: The best printers you can buy for less than $100
Join the conversation about this story »
NOW WATCH: Facebook’s scandals aren’t enough for people to stop using it. Here’s how the company has held up through data hacks, lawsuits, and massive security threats.