- You can split an Uber fare if you’re calling a ride with friends or multiple people.
- All riders will have to accept the Uber fare split invitation in their Uber app during the ride – it will no longer be an option once the ride is over.
- If someone requests to split an Uber with you, all you have to do is accept their invitation in the Uber app.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
An occasionally cheaper and more convenient alternative to hailing a taxi, Uber allows you to order a car service to your location immediately, or even schedule a ride for a future time and date.
You can also choose to rideshare with another Uber user going in the same direction if you want to cut down your costs.
However, perhaps one of the best Uber features is one you may not have heard of.
If you’re using the service to go somewhere with friends, Uber allows you to split the fare so that everyone pays an equal portion of the total cost.
Here’s how to do it in the Uber app on your iPhone or Android.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
iPhone Xs (From $999 at Best Buy)
Google Pixel 3 (From $699.99 at Best Buy)
How to split an Uber fare with multiple people
1. Ensure that everyone riding has an Uber account before you get started. Then, locate the Uber icon on your iPhone or Android’s home screen and tap to open the app.
2. Request an Uber ride to the location of your choice and choose the type of vehicle you want, like an Uber X or Pool.
3. Once you’ve requested your ride, swipe up from the bottom of the screen to reveal a list of menu options.
4. Look for the “Riding with someone?” option and tap the blue “Split fare” option to the right of it.
5. Enter the names or phone numbers of the people you wish to split the fare with. Each of the people you select will receive notifications of your fare split request and will have to accept your invitation in order to pay their portion.
How to accept an invitation to split an Uber fare
If you’re not the person who requested the ride but receive a fare split invitation from someone you’re traveling with, accepting their invitation so you can pay your part of the fare is easy.
A fare split request will appear as a pop-up on your Uber screen, asking you to accept or decline the invitation to split the Uber with the rider who requested it.
To accept, simply hit Accept and that’s it – you’ll be paying your portion of the fare.
All riders must accept the split invitation before the Uber drops you off, as you can no longer split an Uber fare once the ride is over.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
You can add extra stops to any Uber ride — here’s how to do it, and avoid added charges for delaying at a stop
How to contact Uber support as a rider or driver, in 4 different ways
How to cancel an Uber ride, whether you’ve just ordered it or scheduled it in advance
How to sign up for an Uber account on iPhone or Android
SEE ALSO: The best cheap phones you can buy
Join the conversation about this story »
NOW WATCH: 5 things wrong with Apple’s lightning cable