- You can easily make a quality brochure on Google Docs by starting out with a Google Docs template.
- Templates are a good jumping-off point, but the real draw is how customizable they are.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
For many, Google Docs can be an invaluable work tool: You can create media-friendly text documents that are easily shared, and they even come complete with a few templates to help you format your work in new ways.
One useful example of these templates: Brochures.
It’s important to note, however, that the templated brochures included in Google Docs are set up in vertical pages (rather than the traditional horizontal format you might expect, though they can be altered if that’s the look you’re after.)
With that in mind, here’s how to make and customize a brochure using a Google Docs template:
How to make a brochure on Google Docs
1. Go to docs.google.com. (Please note: The shortcut “docs.new” won’t work for this. You have to go to the main docs screen.)
2. Click “Template Gallery” (if you don’t see it, you’ll first need to click the three stacked lines in the upper-left corner) and find the “Work” section.
3. Select the template you’d like to use for your brochure.
4. Edit and replace the filler text and images to suit your needs.
5. Share your brochures as needed (for example, to collaborate with coworkers or to provide a sample to a client), just as you would share any Google Docs file.
You may wish to rename the document (by clicking into the box in the top left corner of the screen), or change the location of the document by clicking the “Move to…” folder icon to the right of the document name.
That way, your new brochure will be easily found among your other documents (though the search function on docs.google.com will also work well, provided you remember a portion of the document name or the core concepts included within it.)
How to customize a brochure template in Google Docs
Google Doc templates are guides, and you can freely diverge from them and remix different templates whenever you want.
If, for example, you’re looking for a more traditional brochure (read: horizontal pages with two or three columns), you’d simply create your templated brochure using the directions above and then customize it with the following steps:
1. Click “File” from the menu bar, then click “Page Setup.”
2. Select your desired page orientation from the popup window (“Landscape” for horizontal formatting).
3. To add multiple columns to your brochure, click “Format” and then hover over “Columns” to choose a two- or three-column setup.
4. You’ll likely need to make adjustments to your template, like editing text or moving graphics, so that each element looks right.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
How to share a Google Doc and customize its sharing settings
How to change the margins on your Google Docs in two ways
How to change the line spacing on any text in Google Docs, from your desktop or mobile device
How to make a hanging indent in Google Docs, for works cited pages and more
SEE ALSO: ‘What is Google One?’: Everything you need to know about Google’s paid storage service
Join the conversation about this story »
NOW WATCH: Elon Musk’s biggest challenge won’t be Tesla or SpaceX — here’s why