- Jeff Bezos is the richest person in the world.
- The Amazon CEO is worth an estimated $121 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.
- Here are nine mind-blowing facts that show just how wealthy Bezos really is, from how much money he makes per second to how much richer he is than the British royal family.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Jeff Bezos is the richest person on the planet. Worth an estimated $121 billion, the Amazon CEO is $16 billion richer than the world’s next-richest person, Bill Gates.
Bezos even retained his ranking as the world’s richest person following his divorce from MacKenzie Bezos, after which she kept a 4% stake in Amazon worth roughly $35.7 billion, making her the third-richest woman in the world.
Although his annual salary is only $81,840, most of Bezos’ wealth comes from his Amazon shares. The world’s richest man makes $2,489 per second — more than twice what the median US worker makes in one week, according to calculations by Business Insider.
Here are nine mind-blowing facts that show just how wealthy Bezos really is.
SEE ALSO: Meet Bernard Arnault, the French billionaire who just pledged $226 million to help rebuild the Notre-Dame, controls luxury-goods empire LVMH, and is the third-richest person in the world
DON’T MISS: Jeff Bezos is reportedly looking to buy an NYC apartment. Here’s a look at the 6 massive properties his family already owns across the US, from a sprawling Seattle estate to a set of historic NYC condos
1. Bezos is worth $121 billion despite being paid an annual salary of just $81,840, less than what most US representatives take home.
Of course, a large portion of Bezos’ wealth is tied to Amazon stock, not his salary.
Business Insider previously calculated how much Bezos actually makes in a year, based on the change in his net worth year-over-year, and found it to be closer to $8.9 million.
What’s even more impressive is if you break that down to how much Bezos makes every day, every hour, and even every second.
2. Bezos makes $2,489 per second — more than twice what the median US worker makes in one week.
That’s $149,353 per minute.
As Business Insider’s Hillary Hoffower previously reported, that means that in just one minute, the Amazon chief makes more than three times what the median US worker makes in a year — $45,552. These numbers were calculated shortly before the Bezos divorce.
3. After divorcing MacKenzie and giving up 25% of the Amazon stock co-owned by the couple, Bezos still kept his ranking as the richest person in the world.
MacKenzie, on the other hand, is now the third-richest woman in the world after L’Oreal heiress Francoise Bettencourt Meyers and Walmart heiress Alice Walton.
MacKenzie, who was one of Amazon’s first employees, is now worth an estimated $38.9 billion.
See the rest of the story at Business Insider