Home / Regional / Activist of Jharkhand to pitch for Women’s quota in Trade Bodies

Activist of Jharkhand to pitch for Women’s quota in Trade Bodies

Jamshedpur, 11 June-2014, TNN: INTUC leader Devika Singh, who was recently appointed the vice chairperson of IndustriALL Asia Pacific Women Conference, an umbrella outfit of 350 world trade union bodies, will attend a four-day conference in Geneva from June 23, 2014 to deliberate on issues pertaining to the women’s representation in trade bodies. The convention is also likely to ratify 40% reservation for women in the trade bodies across the globe.

Activist of Jharkhand to pitch for Women’s quota in Trade Bodies

Activist of Jharkhand to pitch for Women's quota in Trade Bodies

“The last regional conference held in May this year in Berlin approved 40% reservation to women in trade bodies and the minutes of the meeting is likely to be ratified in the Geneva conference if there is a consensus among the member countries,” said Singh.

In the backdrop of the reports that role of the trade unions are gradually subsiding in the contemporary business world the proposed conference of the IndustriALL will discuss effective measures to promote workers’ union in industrial sectors.

“Currently, 3% of the total work force is employed with the organized sector and the remaining 97% with the unorganized sector therefore it is a challenge to ensure greater role of women in the unorganized sector unions,” said Devika Singh.

The vociferous activist, who has been actively involved with various trade unions in different capacities, was the first woman from Jharkhand to become the chairperson of India’s Women Committee under IndustriALL Global Union and subsequently the chairperson of the Asia Pacific conference.

“It was not easy for us to build a consensus (on 40 percent reservation for women in trade bodies) in our regional meeting (in Denmark),” said Devika Singh conceding that until and unless legal provisions are framed to promote women in trade bodies there’s little scope to improve the situation.

Referring to a global survey conducted by IndustriALL, she said nearly 70% of women have left jobs in the last 13 years owing to domestic reasons, including marriage and transfer of their life partner to other city.

Check Also

Shiv Aarti at Taj Mahal once again create controversy

AGRA(DNA): Taj Mahal witnessed high drama on Wednesday when two men worshiping Hindu God, Shiv, …

Will support BJP, RSS if they shun politics of hatred, says Jamiat Ulema-e-Hind

NEW DELHI: Leading Muslim organisation Jamiat Ulema-e-Hind has said that its opposition to the BJP …