Falling prey to coughing, wheezing sneezing and other viral infections during season change is a common phenomenon. But did you know that with few precautions and natural remedies prepared at home, you can easily combat the illness and restore your health?
But first thing first. Here are few reasons due to which you can communicate cough and sore throat causing virus easily:
- Touching the surface infected by the cold or influenza infection, and touching mouth, nose or eyes with a similar hand
- Inhaling the infection after infected individual sneezes or coughs in your surroundings
- Sharing tissue or towel with the person already infected with the virus
- Staying in close vicinity of the person suffering from cough, cold or flu
So even if you have communicated the illness, there are ways in which you can easily tackle them with the help of ingredients easily found in the kitchen.
1) Turmeric: Its antiseptic and anti-microbial properties make it one of the most effective and powerful herb for treating cough, especially a dry cough as recommended by Ayurveda.
Heat half a glass of water in a boiling pot. Include one teaspoon turmeric powder, and one teaspoon black pepper. You can also add 1/2 cinnamon stick. Heat it for 2-3 minutes before taking it off the heat. Add a tablespoon of honey and drink it at least 2-3 times a day for about week for relief from cough.
- Alternatively, make herbal tea by adding a teaspoon each of turmeric powder and carom seeds to a cup of water and boil it till water has decreased to half a cup. Add a teaspoon of Dabur Honey and drink it three times a day for effective results.
2) Lemon: Rich in vitamin C, lemon help cut mucus and supress cough. To make an effective lemon based remedy for cough, squeeze half a lemon in a glass of water and drink this mix twice a day to relieve yourself from sore throat.
3) Salt & water gargle: Gargling 2-3 times a day with a mix made of ¼ to ½ tea spoon of salt + 2 cups of warm water can help smooth the scratchy and irritated throat that causes cough. This mix is very effective and relives the throat irritation. However, the same is not recommended for kids they might end up swallowing the water.
4) Garlic: Garlic has both anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties that help treat cough and fight infections.
- Boil two to three cloves of garlic in a cup of water and add a teaspoon of oregano. Leave it to cool. Now, add a teaspoon of honey and drink. Drinking this 2 times a day will help you breath easily and ease other cough symptoms.
5) Onions: One of the simplest and easiest Ayurvedic home remedies for cough is to cut it and inhale the powerful vapours coming out of an onion.
- Alternatively, you can also mix half teaspoon of onion juice with one teaspoon of unadulterated honey and take this mixture not less than twice a day to mitigate cough and calm your throat.
6) Hot milk with honey: Hot milk with honey can reduce dry cough and minimize the chest pain you might be having from continuous coughing. For best result, drink it before sleeping.
7) Steam: Steaming is underrated when it comes to handling or curing cough cold and congestion. Not does the steam truly relax mucous and phlegm quickly, but it can also be mixed with various basic oils to confer brilliant curing effects on the stubborn cough. These advantages (anti-viral, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial) are noticeably airborne, so you breathe in them while you take in the steam. You can also blend tea tree oil and eucalyptus oil in the steamer, which can help alleviate and open your aviation routes and help ward off infection or virus.
You will require:
- A bowl of water
- A clean and soft towel
- 1-2 drops of eucalyptus oil
- 3 drops of tea tree oil
Directions: Heat enough water to the point of boiling. and add basic oils. Give it a quick stir to release the vapours. Hang over the bowl and get as close as you can while being comfortable. Keep in mind that steam can burn so utilize the towel to cover your head, catching the steam. Inhale and exhale properly. Do this for 5-10 minutes twice or thrice a day for effective relief from cough.