NEW DELHI: Delhi police on Saturday registered an FIR in the gas leak incident that took place near Rani Jhansi Sarvodaya Kanya Vidyalaya.
Around 310 students of the school have reportedly received treatment.
Speaking to ANI, Deputy Chief Fire Office Rajesh Pawar said, “A chemical leakage at the customs area of Tughlaqabad depot caused irritation in eyes of the female students studying in the Rani Jhansi school, Tughlaqabad. The local police, National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), fire, and Centralised Ambulance and Trauma Services (CATS) teams have reached the spot. The students are shifted to nearby hospitals. They are reported normal.”
The principal of the school, Manisha, stated the children had complained of suffocation and irritation in the eyes while they were praying. “At around 7 AM in the morning, during prayer time, the children complained of suffocation and irritation in the eyes. Without any delay, we got the children out from their classes and called the police to investigate. We later sent the children home and those who complained of breathing problem were admitted to three nearby hospitals. The teachers are currently with the students in the hospital,” said principal to ANI.
Hours after the students were admitted to four different hospitals, Delhi Education and Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia stated that the District Magistrate was ordered to investigate into matter, while assuring that the students were safe. “I spoke to doctors, who told me that the students were fine. I will visit the children soon in the hospital and have spoken to a few on the phone. I have also asked the DM (District Magistrate) to investigate. The students are being properly taken care of,” Sisodia said.
Meanwhile, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare JP Nadda stated that Delhi hospitals were instructed to help all victims. “Central GoI hospitals have been instructed to be ready to help all victims of Delhi gas leak incident. My prayers are with children & families,” Nadda tweeted.
(With agency inputs)