Chennai techie muder: Suspect acted alone, confirms Police Commissioner

Chennai(The Hindu): Making a breakthrough in the sensational murder of Infosys software engineer S. Swathi at the Nungambakkam railway station in Chennai last week, the police late on Friday arrested her suspected killer in Tirunelveli district.

Chennai Police Commissioner T.K. Rajendran (C) addressed the media, explaining the details of the case — including the events that led to the suspect's arrest. Photo: M. Vedhan

Police sources said the suspect, identified as Ramkumar, arrived in Chennai three months ago. On May 11, the first known date of his contact with Swathi, he reportedly went to Paranur,the nearest railway station to the Infosys campus where she was working.

A month later, the suspect allegedly stalked Swathi on her way to and from office.

Chennai Police Commissioner T.K. Rajendran addressed the media, explaining the details of the case — including the events that led to the suspect’s arrest.

As it happened:

11:51 am: We’ve arrested all accused in cases of other murders reported across the city.

11:46 am: At this stage, we cannot confirm if the crime was committed out of passion.

The watchman of the mansion who gave information on the suspect, Ramkumar to the police.

11:45 am: We are yet to ascertain the motive behind the murder.

11:44 am: We’ll submit the evidence at the appropriate place.

11:43 am: Ramkumar acted alone; there were no accomplices. There’s only one accused in the case.

11:42 am: The doctors will decide on when Ramkumar can leave the hospital and be handed over to the police.

11:41 am: Ramkumar stalked Swathi.

11:40 am: He [Ramkumar], then, cut himself, and first aid was administered in Tenkasi.

11:38 am: He [Ramkumar] was hiding in the backyard of his house when a police team reached his place at 11:10 p.m. on Friday.

11:36 am: Ramkumar,22, was arrested with the help of Tirunelveli Police. Our teams were able to zero in on him after thorough investagation. We conducted searches in Choolaimedu, Nungambakkam and Infosys campus.

11:34 am: Her [Swathi] parents cooperated with investigation; they shared some information with us.

11:32 am: People from across Chennai and rest of Tamil Nadu, as well as from other States, provided information that helped us crack the case.

11:32 am:

11:03 am: The accused has been identified as Ramkumar, from Meenakshipuram in Tirunelveli.

10:34 am: About 100 pieces of CCTV footage were viewed, and details of thousands of phone calls made in the region before and after the crime were analysed.

10:33 am: The suspect sustained 60 per cent injury and was rushed to the Government Hospital in Tenkasi where he was given first aid. He was later rushed to the Government Medical College Hospital in Tirunelveli for treatment. Doctors who examined the gash said that the injury was not serious. “He is fine and will be shifted to the ICU ward after a minor procedure” a doctor said.

10:33 am: Confirming the arrest to The Hindu, a senior police officer, who is part of the investigation team, said, the accused Ramkumar, a 22-year-old engineering graduate from Meenakshipuram in Tirunelveli, slit his throat with a sharp object when the police surrounded him.

10:30 am: On Friday last, Swathi was waiting at platform number 2 of the railway station to board a train to work, when the suspect hacked Swathi to death from behind.