Islamabad, Nov 1 - At least 20 militants and four security personnel were killed Saturday…
New Delhi: Ministry of External Affairs on Tuesday night said it has no information about the reports that 20 Indians have been killed in Saudi-led strikes in Yemen.
A boy stands in Houthi leader Yahya Aiydh’s house, after Saudi-led air strikes destroyed it in Yemens capital Sanaa. Image Courtesy: Reuters
“We are ascertaining the facts about the reports,” MEA spokesman Vikas Swarup said when asked about reports that 20 Indians had been killed in Saudi-led strikes in Yemen.
Some media reports, quoting residents and fishermen, earlier claimed that at least 20 Indian nationals were killed in air strikes by Saudi-led coalition forces on fuel smugglers at Yemen’s Hodeidah port today.
They claimed two boats were hit in the attack on an area called al-Khokha near Hodeidah port.
India does not have Embassy in Yemen, which was shut down in April after evacuation of its nationals.
According to Reuters report, in western Yemen, local residents and fishermen said planes from the Saudi-led alliance struck two boats at al-Khokha, a small port near Hodeidah used by Indians to smuggle badly needed fuel supplies into the country, killing 20 of them. Officials were not immediately available to comment on the report.
The Houthi-run state news agency Saba also said that 15 citizens were killed in air strikes on Sanaa, and medical sources said at least 15 civilians were killed in similar attacks on Monday. It was not immediately possible to independently verify the figures.
Friday’s attack was the deadliest yet for Gulf soldiers in the war and may herald a turning point as Saudi-allied countries appear to be committing to a ground war they had so far avoided.
Input with agencies