Enforcement Directorate officials surprised at Interpol move on Lalit Modi

New Delhi: Enforcement Directorate (ED) sources expressed surprise at the Interpol’s move to seek more details on the investigations into the alleged money-laundering by former Indian Premier League (IPL) chairman Lalit Modi, following India’s request for a red corner notice (RCN) against him.

“It is very unusual. Usually, the Interpol doesn’t ask for more details on a country’s request for apprehending individuals. For RCN, a warrant of arrest is the main condition for offenders wanted at international level,” said a source.

The international crime investigating agency has asked the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to establish the sequence and details of the three years of probe in the alleged violation of money-laundering laws, since the case was registered in 2012.

An RCN is an arrest warrant or court order issued by the judicial authorities in the country concerned. It is a valid request for provisional arrest.

According to sources, the CBI has received the query from the Interpol in the third week of August, in which it was asked to provide a description of the case. It was also conveyed that a decision on RCN is likely to be taken by the Interpol by September-end.

“We are being given a month’s time to send another round of information, which we will probably give much before the deadline,” a senior ED official told dna.

According to ED officials, the Interpol has raised queries as certain important links are missing in the case and that the international probe agency was not satisfied by the details given by ED in terms of the chronology of the events.

They have also sought details of others who are involved/accused in the case and the offence under which the case has been registered.

ED officials say they had already provided the details that had to be filled in the designated RCN form.

“It is required to fill the details of offence in 1,000 characters or 200 words, which has been done from our end. This time it will be more elaborate,” said the official.

All facts and figures relating to Modi’s personal information, a short account of the circumstances of the case in which he is wanted, along with the full details of the charges, have been submitted to the concerned authorities.

On August 20, the CBI had sent documents to the Interpol to process the RCN against Modi.

The move came after a Mumbai court issued a non-bailable warrant against Modi.

His lawyer in Mumbai had reportedly refused to accept the summons, contending he was not authorised for it. The ED then e-mailed it to the former IPL honcho, who now lives in London. But, even that elicited no response from him.

The ED is probing Modi, the IPL and its executives for alleged violation of the provisions of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA).

The FIR was filed after the central agency took cognisance of a cheating complaint by former BCCI chief N Srinivasan against Modi and half a dozen others with the Chennai police.

The case relates to the BCCI, which had awarded a 10-year media rights to WSG for $918 million. WSG then entered into a deal with MSM to make Sony the official broadcaster. The contract was replaced later with a nine-year deal, where MSM paid $1.63 billion.

Posted by on September 8, 2015. Filed under Editorial. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.