New Delhi, July 19 : The first International Police Expo began here Saturday to promote…
New Delhi(dna): Underworld don Dawood Ibrahim, prime accused in the 1993 Mumbai serial bomb blasts, wanted to surrender after 15 month of the blasts and had even spoken to then CBI DIG Neeraj Kumar.
According to HT report, in June 1994, Dawood spoke to Neeraj Kumar thrice, but the CBI allegedly declined his offer.
Quoting Neeraj Kumar, the report said, Dawood wanted to surrender, but he was worried that the rival gang could finish him off if he comes back in India, however, he was assured of safety.
The report further stated that after granting him (Kumar) the permission to talk to Dawood, his seniors asked him to put an end to the phone calls. Although, Kumar is not sure if the then government had anything to do with the order.
Neeraj Kumar was leading the CBI probe into the March 12, 1993. He retired as the Delhi Police commissioner in July 2013.
Earlier, noted lawyer Ram Jethmalani had also said that Dawood had called him up and said he was ready to give himself up but the government didn’t agree to his conditions.
Last year, India asked Pakistan to hand over Dawood saying enough evidence have been given to it on the prime accused in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts.