Government will approach Supreme Court over NGT order: Nitin Gadkari

New Delhi(PTI): Union Minister for Road, Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari said on Monday that the government would approach the Supreme Court against the National Green Tribunal (NGT) order of banning vehicles older than 15 years from running in New Delhi.

“We have decided to appeal in the Supreme Court against NGT’s decision. We will also tell the court that we too want pollution to be controlled but need more time for it. Therefore, we will seek additional six months time from the court so that a policy can be put in place and the scheme is implemented to check air pollution. We will implement it,” Nitin Gadkari told the media here.

“Those who fail to comply within given period of time we will take actions against them. We need to find a solution. We should give them certain time, without giving time this is not possible in two weeks. That is why we will present this issue in front of the Supreme Court through an affidavit,” he added.

Gadkari further asserted that 15 days were too short for the transporters as it will impact thousands of people who have bought trucks taking huge loan.

Earlier in the day, the NGT stayed its ban order on entry of diesel vehicles older than ten years into the national capital for another two weeks.

On Sunday, the truck drivers said that they will go on strike in New Delhi and starting April 13 midnight, in protest against the NGT ruling.

The NGT had passed its order in a bid to improve the capital’s deteriorating air quality which is causing a lot of health problems.

The order follows a similar one passed by the Tribunal in November last year banning all vehicles over 15 years old from plying in Delhi.

But the state government has failed to implement that order.

Posted by on April 14, 2015. Filed under Nation. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.