Delhi police to move court to stop BBC from airing rapist-killer’s interview

New Delhi(web team): Reacting a tad late, the Delhi police on Monday said it was filing an FIR (first information report) based on media report as to how BBC documentary filmmaker was allowed to interview Mukesh Sharma, one of the six convicts responsible for the horrific gang rape of December 16, 2012 victim on board a moving bus.

The Delhi police have also decided to move court against the airing of a BBC documentary that contains interview of convict Mukesh Sharma. The BBC proposes to broadcast the documentary made by British filmmaker Leslee Udwin, ‘India’s daughter’, based on Nirbhaya on International Women’s Day on March 8.

“We are going to move the court against the broadcast of such inputs… This was a ghastly crime and the law has been broken, we will investigate the case,” Delhi Police Commissioner B S Bassi said.

Taking a strong exception to British filmmaker being allowed to interview the convict, union home minister Rajnath Singh sought a detailed report from the jail chief on the whole issue.

Singh spoke to Tihar jail Director General Alok Kumar Verma and sought a detailed report on the matter urgently, official sources said.

During the telephonic conversation, the DG briefed the Home Minister about the incident and the action taken so far, sources said.

Sources said a senior official of the union home ministry was also involved in facilitating the interview of the rape convict in July 2013.

Reacting to the strong reactions, filmmaker Leslee Udwin said she had followed all the “necessary protocols” including seeking prior permission from authorities including the DG of Tihar jail in making her documentary. She was given the permission and interviewed convict from October 8 to 10, 2013.

“The controversy is unnecessary and I request you all to watch the film first before concluding anything.

The footage was shown to the jail authorities. The film is in public interest and there won’t be any unnecessary sensationalism,” she said.

In the interview, convict Mukesh reportedly said the women who went out at night had only themselves to blame if they attracted the attention of gangs of male molesters.

“A girl is far more responsible for rape than a boy,” he had said. Mukesh also said that had the girl and her friend not tried to fight back, the gang would not have inflicted the savage beating, which led to her death later.

Posted by on March 4, 2015. Filed under Regional. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.