62 school kids fall ill after consuming poisonous seeds

Raipur (PTI): At least 62 students of a government school fell ill after they consumed seeds of the poisonous Jatropha plant in Chhattisgarh’s Bemetara district. Government primary and middle school students of Luk village in Saja block fell ill after they ate the seeds outside the school premises on Saturday, Bemetara Collector Basavraju S said.

All of them were discharged from hospitals today after their condition improved. They are stable now, he said. After reaching home from school yesterday, the kids had complained of headache, vomiting and stomach disorders.

“As soon as their parents realised that their kids had consumed Jatropha seeds, they were rushed to a primary health centre of Saja last evening. “As many as 62 students who developed complications after eating the poisonous seeds, were brought to Saja. Later, 40 of them were shifted to the Bemetara district hospital for further treatment,” the collector said.

Posted by on February 15, 2015. Filed under Regional. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.