Guwahati, 19 July 2014 , Indilens Web Team: MP Ajmal said in Lok Sabha that it need to provide a proper and permanent solution to the issue of foreigners in Assam.
In a statement he said, “I would like to draw the attention of the Government towards the issue of ‘D’ Voters in Assam. After the declaration of IMDT Act as unconstitutional by the Hon’ble Supreme Court, the problem of DVoters has emerged in Assam as it was never before. I am not at all against the detection and deportation of the foreigners. At the same time, I can’t support the harassment of a large number of Indian Citizens of Assam by way of referring cases to Foreigners Tribunal (F.T ) without proper examination of documents relating to citizenship of the concerned person. Let me give an example, the Foreigners Tribunal of Goalpara , Assam has disposed of 1004 Cases of alleged Foreigners (“D” Voters) during 2007- 2010. Out of which 945 i.e. 94% cases were in favour of the alleged persons by the concerned F. T. and remaining 6% of cases were declared as illegal migrant because of their negligence or lack of awareness about the legal system. Further on this very issue a regional party came to power and ruled the State Government for 10 years. But they could identify only 6724 people and deported only 521 people during 1985-1990 and in second term period 1996 -2000 they identified 902 people and deported only 102 people which obviously indicated that the issue of foreigner in Assam is not based on actual facts and figures, rather some baseless propaganda has made the situation more complicated and vicious one. My Submission before the House is that Government should find a proper and permanent solution so that genuine Indian Citizens do not become victims of harassment.”