ULFA Commander in Chief Gets Death Penalty in Bangladesh with 13 others

Dhaka, January 30, 2014 (IANS): Paresh Barua, leader of the anti-talk faction of the ULFA, is among the 14 people awarded the death sentence by a Bangladesh court on Thursday in connection with a 2004 arms smuggling case. A special court in Chittagong handed the death sentence to Barua and 13 others, including Jamaat Chief and then Industries Minister Motiur Rahman Nizami and then State Minister for Home Lutfozzaman Babar, for smuggling in 10 truckloads of firearms in 2004, the Daily Star reported.
Dancing ULFA leader Paresh Baruah dares government

ULFA Commander in Chief Gets Death Penalty in Bangladesh

“The verdict has been delivered on receiving permission from the High Court division,” judge SM Mojibur Rahman of the Chittagong Metropolitan Special Tribunal-1 was quoted in the report. The tribunal had started reading out the summary at 12.28 p.m. A huge cache of arms was recovered on April 2, 2004, at the jetty of the Chittagong Urea Fertiliser Ltd (CUFL) near the Karnaphuli river while being loaded on 10 trucks for delivery to the Indian separatist outfit ULFA. These included 4,930 sophisticated firearms of different types, 840 rocket launchers, 300 rockets, 27,020 grenades, 2,000 grenade-launching tubes, 6,392 magazines and 11.41 million bullets.

It was the largest ever seizure of an arms consignment in the country. Two charge-sheets in connection with the case were submitted – one in the arms case after two months and another in the smuggling case after four months. According to the Daily Star, the trial of both the cases started in 2005 “with several loopholes as the probes overlooked some important factors such as who had brought the arms, from which country, what was the destination and how was a jetty of a state-owned body used for unloading the weapons”. Only some small fry which included mostly labourers, truckers and trawler drivers, were implicated, leaving out the big shots as the then Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP)-led government allegedly tried to cover up the involvement of the state machinery, including its ministers and high officials of intelligence agencies.

However, after a caretaker government took over in Bangladesh on January 11, 2007, ahead of the country’s general elections, there were new developments. The Court of Chittagong Metropolitan Judge on Febuary 14, 2008, ordered further investigation following a prosecution petition and the cases took a new turn.

In June 2011, Muniruzzaman Chowdhury, senior assistant superintendent of Criminal Investigation Department, submitted two supplementary charge-sheets in June 2011, accusing 11 new suspects. Paresh Barua was among those charged in both the cases. While Barua and former secretary of the industries ministry Nurul Amin have been absconding ever since the recovery of the arms, the other nine are behind bars. With the inclusion of the 11 new suspects, the number of the total accused rose to 50 and 52 in the arms and smuggling cases respectively. (IANS)

Posted by on January 30, 2014. Filed under Nation, World. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.