New Delhi, 27 June-2014, Mallica Joshi/HT: After a long standoff with UGC, Delhi University has agreed to scrap four-year undergradutae programme (FYUP) and revert to three-year undergraduate programme.
DU vice-chancellor Dinesh Singh issued a statement announcing the decision.
“The University of Delhi recognises the need of the hour. It is of paramount importance to protect the interests of the students by ensuring the start of the admission process. In line with the directive of the UGC the University has decided to roll back the FYUP. Consequently the admission process shall be conducted under the scheme of courses that were in force in the academic session 2012-13 in all the colleges ofthe University of Delhi,” the statement said.
Earlier in the day, DU sent a letter to the University Grants Commission (UGC), saying it was ready to commence the stalled admission process in accordance with the regulatory body’s directives — a move that media reports initially interpreted as the university’ decision to finally scrap the controversial FYUP.
“I am directed to state that the university is in the process of drafting a response in accordance with the spirit of your directives to ensure that the admission process starts very soon,” said DU registrar Alka Sharma in a letter to the UGC.
But, confusion still prevailed, as the UGC shot off a reply soon after, asking DU to clarify its stand, TV channels reported.
HRD minister Smriti Irani said, “Respect the autonomy of institutions, but autonomous institutions were created to serve the people of the nation. One should not sacrifice the future of the students at the altar of prestige.”
Read: The woes of an FYUP student
The DU had on Thursday proposed that foundation courses be reduced and offered only in the first year, an honours degree be given in three years, more main subject courses be added to the mix, and that the university could have an optional fourth year for a new degree, ‘honours by research’.
The development came after a day of hectic negotiations between the varsity and UGC over the compromise proposal drawn up by a group of academicians.
While UGC accepted all but one proposal, there were some legal issues which came in the way and, hence, it was seeking the views of legal experts. A crucial meeting of the 10-member UGC standing committee scheduled for 5pm on Thursday was cancelled in its wake.