4 June-2014, Rebecca Cope: Yesterday’s surprise announcement that King Juan Carlos of Spain would be abdicating his throne in favour of his heir, Prince Felipe, means that we’ve got a brand new European Queen to get excited about. Meet Princess Letizia, soon-to-be Queen Letizia.
1. Like the Duchess of Cambridge, she’s a “commoner”. Born Letizia Rocasolano to middle class parents, she grew up in Oviedo in the Principality of Asturias in north-west Spain. Unlike the Duchess, she’s doubly controversial, as she is also a divorcee, having been married to a high school teacher for a year.
2. She’s got a wardrobe to rival the Duchess of Cambridge, too. This beautiful brunette made transitioning from commoner to royalty look easy with her refined, sophisticated style, often wearing crisp white shirts and trousers in muted tones for casual affairs, and the likes of Hugo Boss, Max Mara and Felipe Varela for her more glamorous commitments.
3. Before becoming a princess, she was a successful TV presenter and journalist. In fact, she had just won the prize for Best Spanish Journalist Under 30 when she met her future husband at a colleague’s dinner party.
4. Prince George has a rival in the cute department from her daughters, Leonor and Sofia. Spain has two new princesses to fall in love with as Letizia is the mother of two photogenic girls Infanta Leonor (8) and Infanta Sofia (7). Let’s hope George is invited to the coronation (and lets also pray he makes a better first impression on the new princesses than on his cousin Mia).
5. She’s made appearing a down-to-earth royal an art form. Not only does Letizia drop off and collect her children from school, but she also takes the subway, attends concerts with friends and has been known to wear jeans.
(Input source: HB)